2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• The allocation of the WCH for women's volleyball in 2022 has been postponed. The FIVB needs more time to assess the submitted bids.

SOURCE: https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport…htkamer-voor-wk-volleybal

• The allocation of the WCH for women's volleyball in 2022 has been postponed. The FIVB needs more time to assess the submitted bids.

SOURCE: https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport…htkamer-voor-wk-volleybal

I knew something was up when they didn't announce the host during the FIVB Congress recently, like with men's tournament. I wonder what it means. Not enough interest? Too much interest? Inadequate bids? I guess it could be really anything.

Thanks a lot, great read! I'm glad you had so much fun. :)

I'm very surprised to hear about the old arenas and medal matches not being broadcast in Japan.

• I knew something was up when they didn't announce the host during the FIVB Congress recently, like with men's tournament. I wonder what it means. Not enough interest? Too much interest? Inadequate bids? I guess it could be really anything.

Thanks a lot, great read! I'm glad you had so much fun. :)

I'm very surprised to hear about the old arenas and medal matches not being broadcast in Japan.

I have impression, or just knowledge after WCH2014 that WCH are expensive tournament (FIVB wants to earn more and more). Japanese cost summary after WCH 2018 gives some hints for the potential host, that it’s not cheap. So host finding may not be easy.

But I would not have anything against WCH2022 in Poland :)

• With Japan hosting their games are always better attended than the other nations. Yokohama has big Chinese crowds for the semifinals and 3rd/final matches

I have a crazy idea. I want the USA to host all of the tournament in LA area. It has venues of various sizes (college and NBA), Hollywood (easy to get stars to attend). Plus, people could see many teams in one area. Many times people only go to one venue/city and only watch one team. This would be very different hosting.

• :lol::lol::lol::love:

even when they played in Nebraska the arena was not sold out....if they played in L.A I don`t think anyone would show up...just like nobody shows up for the USAV CUP or Grand Prix.

There is a big difference between NCAA volleyball and the USA national team in knowledge of players. If it was the University of Nebraska (NCAA) playing it is a sell out at over 8,000 fans a match. I really doubt many volleyball teams have that kind of attendance numbers. However, if you shift from Nebraska volleyball to the national team, that number drops. The reason for the USA playing in Omaha and Lincoln was to see if they could get a crossover. Plus having a couple of former Nebraska players on the team Larson and Robinson to push that up a little further. USAV Cup, is a friendly and usually near USA practice home in Anaheim. Additionally, the sport has a foothold in the LA area in clubs, high schools and the beach.

USA got 5,000 people in Lincoln on three consecutive weeknights, with little promotion (thanks FIVB).

You also forget that the USA has large foreign populations (that may be interested in attending to support their birth country). Poland matches in Chicago are essentially road matches for the USA and the Iran game vs. USA in LA was the same.

Except that no stars are volleyball fanX/

Why are the LA Lakers popular? It helps that the basketball team wins, but the star power helped attract people to watch NBA games in New York and Los Angeles. In the early 1980s, the NBA Finals were on tape delay, only live on the weekends. As the sport became more popular in the USA, let alone the world, you'll never know who you'll see in the crowd at an NBA game, even in the smaller NBA markets.

In Japan, the Japanese TV networks try to work with music groups to help promote the event, hence many songs with boy bands recently.

The FIVB wants to make volleyball a sport that people want to watch, it takes a combination the sport itself and entertainment to get people involved. Entertainment is of two forms, participation (Monster Block, Ace Serve, etc.) and then the who factor (who's here that I might recognize).

The challenge of having the USA host the tournament is just that the country is so large, time zones, distances etc. The FIVB I don't think has ever thought of a really compact World Championship. This would be a different version, but I think would be more fan friendly due to its single area nature.

• This would be a different version, but I think would be more fan friendly due to its single area nature.

I really like this idea....and I think it could work in other countries as well...for example Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro has a couple of different arenas, some bigger...some smaller....I think FIVB does not want them playing in small arenas, but I would prefer watch a 1.000 seat arena Sold Out over a 10.000 seat arena with only 1.000 fans during each match.

This probably would work even in Istanbul.

• TBH, I think most non-host matches would struggle with attendance almost everywhere in the world. But yes, smaller venues with good atmosphere (like Serbia's group at ECh '17, for example) are infinitely better than huge arenas that resemble a ghost town where you can hear the players breathe. It's depressing to watch and I guess not too stimulating to play.

But unfortunately, the FIVB goes for grandiosity, so likely we'll see more of the same old, same old.

• TBH, I think most non-host matches would struggle with attendance almost everywhere in the world. But yes, smaller venues with good atmosphere (like Serbia's group at ECh '17, for example) are infinitely better than huge arenas that resemble a ghost town where you can hear the players breathe. It's depressing to watch and I guess not too stimulating to play.

But unfortunately, the FIVB goes for grandiosity, so likely we'll see more of the same old, same old.

In one of the interviews Przedpelski said that he really likes the Netherlands proposal. As far as I remember they wanted to do everything in Arnhem, where they have sport center and there is a stadium and a big venue. They want to make 3 playing courts in the stadium. Then each team will have their host town nearby and its inhabitants are expected to be present on the games of this team and served as a supporters.

Then I also read that Poland would like to be a part of this and there was some rumours about organizing it together with Holland but I don't know how it ended.

• In one of the interviews Przedpelski said that he really likes the Netherlands proposal. As far as I remember they wanted to do everything in Arnhem, where they have sport center and there is a stadium and a big venue. They want to make 3 playing courts in the stadium. Then each team will have their host town nearby and its inhabitants are expected to be present on the games of this team and served as a supporters.

Then I also read that Poland would like to be a part of this and there was some rumours about organizing it together with Holland but I don't know how it ended.

The first round and the final round will be in Arnhem in a soccer stadium. Also they want to use Ahoy in Rotterdam for the first round (this was the location for the final rounds of the ECH in 2015). Then they want the help of countries in the neighborhood in the second and third round, so Poland can be an option.

• This person said that Poland and Netherlands will be hosts in WC 2022 :/

Who's he?

https://mobile.twitter.com/r_c…tatus/1063488198771437570

Ryszard Czarnecki is a Polish politician and a member of the European Parliament from Poland.

Translate his tweet to English: "Literally minutes away from us the decision of FIVB - the world volleyball federation who will be the organizer of the women's world championship in 2022. We strongly believe that Poland and the Netherlands!"

He did not officially confirm that Poland and Netherland will host WCH 2022 although he believed these two cities have a good chance. His tweet was post on Nov 16th, 2018. It's kind of early.

We may have to wait the formal announcement from FIVB.

• So this is a confirmation of joint offer of Poland and the Netherlands. Probably the Netherlands made a bid and then they were looking for some other country interested in hosting part of the competition and then Poland agreed and that is the reason of the delay in announcement. Fingers crossed that it will become reality :)

Beside being a politician, Czarnecki is also vice-president in PZPS (polish volleyball federation).

• "Fallout" from WCh is here: the weird new FIVB world ranking, with WCh 2018, but without (WTF?) VNL, there is still World Grand Prix 2017 in the ranking, which doesn't make any sense for me:

1. Serbia

2. China

3. USA

4. Brazil

5. Russia

6. Japan

7. Netherlands

8. Italy

9. South Korea

10.Dominican Republic

Full list can be found here:

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/VB_Ranking_W_2018-10.asp

• OMG, North Korea is on 33rd place. Last time I saw them playing in 2013 at the Universiade...

On the other hand, Belarus in on 52nd place and they played quite well the last 3 years, achieving quarterfinals in ECH 2017. Dominica, Saint Lucia and Fiji are higher in the rank...

This ranking is probably the weirdest that I have ever seen.