2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• Serbia could be the best team in the World with Blagojevic as defensive OH and Mihajlovic and Boskovic attacking.. :whistle:
    Sad that Terzic does not understand Blagojevic is the best Serbian receiver.

• Brazil lost 2-3 for the USA in 2007 World Cup, after leading 2-0. They also have lost for Italy and Japan 3-0 on the same competition. So, not the first time that something like that happens. Making assumptions because just one game is kinda pointless.

Brazil Men's played on a Thursday afternoon at 2pm. It was great that 4,000 people were there to see the game. And the men's team doesn't won any major competition in some years.

• No one is saying Brazil is a "done" team. On the contrary I think the loss will even inspire them to do better. Serbia, especially the spikes of Boskovic, Brazil didn't have a solution to stop her.

• I am not saying that BRA team is done either... I just said that BRA team is not that powerful as some touted here repeatedly, or as many may perceive it earlier. I am talking about perception and perception... contrasted with reality. Have not seen their A team in big competition since the last WCh. Nonetheless BRA team is still a top team.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Not everyone is saying, but a lot of people have said that in the last page.

Anyway, let's see how the team bounce back in the next rounds.

About Servia, I loved the fighting spirit that they have played today. Brankica was on fire! Boskovic very reliable. They won more or less Russian style. Two hitters scoring like crazy. :obey:

• About Servia, I loved the fighting spirit that they have played today. Brankica was on fire! Boskovic very reliable. They won more or less Russian style. Two hitters scoring like crazy. :obey:

Also with Malešević in the role of Scherban and fairly anonimous MBs. :D I think it's very important that Serbia found a way to win even without the usual contribution from Rašić, who will surely do better in upcoming matches.
    A bit of a historical moment, they had never beaten Brazil before!

• Some comments here make me laugh so hard. Brazil lost in the tie break by 16x18, after Serbia had 13x7. And this is the fourth match of the year. Some people make it look like Serbia is getting the gold in Rio and Brazil doesn't have a chance. C'mon, could you exaggerate a little bit less?
    This is the first defeat of Brazilian A team this year. Remember Brazil did not play WC last year and did not play the European Championship, both played by Serbia. So they clearly lack a lot of rhythm.
    Brazil has lost to Bulgaria a few years ago and then that was even a much worst match.
    It's funny how some people in this forum take one single match and overreact (saying Brazil was trashed?!) about it whenever it's convenient for them.
    Congrats to Serbia but having Rasic play so bad and relying on two players to score is just Russia style: might work well in Europe, but not against Asian and American teams.

• It could have been an awful match that Malesevic wouldn't want to remember about, but they did well. Congrats to Serbia :super: Maja made a couple of bad sets in the 3rd set and 4th set, but as usual her sets were so fun to watch.

Veljkovic perfectly replaced Rasic, She's a great fighter as she showed today.

Let me guess - After this match, IMO Silvija Popovic virtually got her flight booked to Rio.

• It could have been an awful match that Malesevic wouldn't want to remember about, but they did well. Congrats to Serbia :super: Maja made a couple of bad sets in the 3rd set and 4th set, but as usual her sets were so fun to watch.

Veljkovic perfectly replaced Rasic, She's a great fighter as she showed today.

Let me guess - After this match, IMO Silvija Popovic virtually got her flight booked to Rio.

I think it was Stevanovic who replaced Milena

• You're right :) I had a little lapse of concentration.

Belgium putting a pretty impressive performance at the 3rd set. Every single match Herbots seems to grow up. With less pressure and more experiences, I presume she could be the best player representing Belgium. I'd say she's already a better player than Vandeestene, Rousseaux and Leys if you ask me.

• China without Zhu Ting 3-0 Belgium

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I think she's done playing in NT. Van de Vyver is playing fairly well.
    I really hope they manage to survive in the 1st division in any way they can.

• Some comments here make me laugh so hard. Brazil lost in the tie break by 16x18, after Serbia had 13x7. And this is the fourth match of the year. Some people make it look like Serbia is getting the gold in Rio and Brazil doesn't have a chance. C'mon, could you exaggerate a little bit less?
    This is the first defeat of Brazilian A team this year. Remember Brazil did not play WC last year and did not play the European Championship, both played by Serbia. So they clearly lack a lot of rhythm.
    Brazil has lost to Bulgaria a few years ago and then that was even a much worst match.
    It's funny how some people in this forum take one single match and overreact (saying Brazil was trashed?!) about it whenever it's convenient for them.
    Congrats to Serbia but having Rasic play so bad and relying on two players to score is just Russia style: might work well in Europe, but not against Asian and American teams.

Agreed. This is one of the A teams major tournament (and it is not a complete team too) while this Serbia team has played many major tournaments. Kudos for Serbia for win for a deserved win. But I think it is still too early to write Brazil off yet. USA beat Brazik in every single match on 2011 and 2012 but we all know how Olympic ended. Coach Ze is a brilliant person. Brazil seems to be unable to stop Mihajlovic and that lefty Opp and I think Coach Ze already has answers for that that he refused to use just yet, just how he managed to stop Destinee Hooker on the London finale. Let's wait for the final week and see if Coach Ze wants to get revenge for this defeat.

• What did you say? Serbia relying on only 2 players to score might work only in Europe? SO I guess Brazil is from where??? Also remember Russia deafted Brazil in the 2006 and 2010 World Championship plus in the 2004 Olympics..... :win: :drink: well you should say then it works only in Europe and south America...olololo

And Serbia did not win only because Boskovic and Brankika. Malesevic recevied almost the whole match and scored 11, and Stevanovic and Veljkovic put a lot of pressure on the net and Maja and Popovic did great as usual...

This match will make Brazil even stronger and gave all the confidence Serbia neeeded going into the Olympics, now they know they can beat anybody...

Some comments here make me laugh so hard. Brazil lost in the tie break by 16x18, after Serbia had 13x7. And this is the fourth match of the year. Some people make it look like Serbia is getting the gold in Rio and Brazil doesn't have a chance. C'mon, could you exaggerate a little bit less?

• Agreed. This is one of the A teams major tournament (and it is not a complete team too) while this Serbia team has played many major tournaments. Kudos for Serbia for win for a deserved win. But I think it is still too early to write Brazil off yet. USA beat Brazik in every single match on 2011 and 2012 but we all know how Olympic ended. Coach Ze is a brilliant person. Brazil seems to be unable to stop Mihajlovic and that lefty Opp and I think Coach Ze already has answers for that that he refused to use just yet, just how he managed to stop Destinee Hooker on the London finale. Let's wait for the final week and see if Coach Ze wants to get revenge for this defeat.

Assuming Serbia beats China tomorrow, does Serbia qualify in the Final round if they win all their remaining matches? The only tough opponent Serbia has is Russia, and maybe japan since they will be playing on home soil next week.