2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• According to Serbian daily newspaper Sportski Žurnal (and they're usually very informed when it comes to things like this), the qualifying process for the Tokyo Games will be completely overhauled and much simplified.
    World Cup is gone and instead we'll have World Qualifications mid-next year. The top 24 teams from the World rankings on January 1, 2019 will be divided into 6 groups of 4 teams using the serpentine system. The winners will qualify automatically for the Olympics. The remaining teams will have to qualify via their respective continental qualifications, with one team per continent quota like previously. European qualifications should be held in January 2020.

This sounds way too simple for FIVB and their love for impossibly drawn out and convoluted tournaments. :S I'm not sure how I feel about it.

• Interesting... I just don`t know how I feel about this yet.

From what I heard this qualification tournament will be in January and not mid-year because they will play VNL probably starting in May again. Also I heard the World Cup will still be played but of course it won`t be used as OG qualification. Japan basically "owns" the World Cup so they will make it happen anyways...and I guess it will be just a friendly tournament....

• I wish they would organize continental championships and once the continental berths was gone, the remaining countries could fight for the other spots. Now Brasil will probably get a spot via world qualification which will give a free spot to other South American countries :down: Same with USA and CHN.

Depending on draw, there could be 7 European teams in OG in theory at least :super:

• Might as well copy this here from the men's thread:

Today I came accross different info here.

According to this, there will be three stages again. World Cup is essentially replaced by World Qualifying Tournament, with pretty much the same formula: 12 teams (host, world champion, 2 best ranked teams per continent), top 3 qualify for the Olympics.

After that, there will be continental qualifiers, with one qualifying quota per continent, like before.

And finally, the best 12 ranked teams not already qualified will be divided into three groups of four teams, and the winners go to Tokyo.

Honestly, knowing how the FIVB love to needlessly complicate things, I think this is more likely than the earlier rumoured version. The good news is that at least Asia should finally be getting their own qualifying tournament.

If this goes through, it will be really interesting to see who gets to host the World Qualifier aka World Cup. My guess is China or Turkey.

• http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyb…System_Volleyball_eng.pdf

I like the new qualification. It would have been even better if continental tournaments would be held before intercontinental tournaments since now BRA, CHN and USA will give free spots to their continents if they manage to qualify through intercontinental tournament first. Especially giving a spot to a south american team would be horrible. That's why I really hope that BRA won't be able to qualify in first intercontinental tournament.

Considering the current semifinalists, all SRB, ITA and NED will be in top 7 in the next world ranking, which will allow them to be seeded separately and get their tickets. Then the final spot will be between RUS and TUR. Of course all will depend on the new world ranking. Indeed I will calculate it myself for top 24 teams once WCh ends :saint:

• Did they change the rules for the world ranking? My guess is that it would be WC 2018, VNL 2018, OG 2016 and World Cup 2015. If World Cup 2015 stays in there Russia will still be the 2nd best European team. Even without the 70 points from the World Cup 2015 Russia will obviously stay ahead of Turkey.

• So, if the VNL is not counted towards the rankings, Serbia and China have the same number of points. What is the tie-breaker in that cause and who gets the #1 place?

Still, it would be ridiculous if WCh, WC and OG were the only tournaments to give out points, under these point distribution rules, at least. It creates tons of problems down the line. With the GP '17 points out with nothing to replace them, Turkey falls behind Puerto Rico, Thailand falls behind Cameroon, Poland is overtaken by Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago, while Belgium plummets so far down the rankings they won't even get a spot among the top 24 teams that compete in the International Qualifier, as does Croatia and seemingly even Poland.

The ranking system needs to be overhauled in that case, but it would be stupid and unfair to do it retroactively and without advance notice.

Also, while we're at it, what exactly is keeping the FIVB from updating the rankings? If tennis can manage an infinitely more complex system on weekly basis, it's not too much from the FIVB to expect to add and subtract a few points here and there twice a year.

• So, if the VNL is not counted towards the rankings, Serbia and China have the same number of points. What is the tie-breaker in that cause and who gets the #1 place?

Still, it would be ridiculous if WCh, WC and OG were the only tournaments to give out pointsroactively and without advance notice.

wouldn't this be a good thing for all European teams? As they all does not take VNL seriously and never give its 100%?

• Uhm, no? It's just the contrary. Serbia, Italy, Netherlands and Russia are the only ones that would't see much of a difference, because they participated at the Olympics. All the others will suffer big time. Turkey obviously took VNL seriously and reached the final, and this way they'd be "rewarded" by actually falling down the rankings.

Also, the European teams that failed to qualify for the WCh are totally screwed over. Poland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Croatia all lose so many points that they're danger in of not even making it to the Intercontinental Qualifier.

Basically, the OG '16 and the WCh '18 were the two tournaments with the qualification system that was biased against Europe the most. Points from GP/VNL would balance things out somewhat. Without those, we have a ranking system where Puerto Rico is ahead of Turkey and Cameroon is ahead of Germany. That's obviously a complete nonsense.

• At the moment it is still undiceded whether the points from VNL will or won't count to the ranking. Przedpelski said in one of the interviews that the final discussion and decisons will be made on FIVB congress in the middle of November. In his opinion the points from VNL shouldn't count. Also he said that the points form continental championships will not count because there are continental rankings and winning African championships is not the same as winning ECH. We have to wait and see what they will decide. I am afraid that they will only count OG, WC and WCH because in FIVB the most important voice have non-european countries and since they have a lot of slots in world competitions then they will be higher in ranking than most of the european teams which in reality are better teams.

• FIVB :aww: VNL not counting at all would be the dumbest thing ever, volleyball ranking system is such a mess I feel most teams don't even care about it anymore...

They need to get a decent system out fast and from now on teams should already know how many points they can receive when taking part in a tournament and not after they've played it lol

But knowing FIVB I'm sure VNL won't count and probably they will come out with something extra that's even dumber which we didn't even think about to make the ranking even worse. Long live FIVB!

• What the heck!:what: OG and WCH are done only in every 4 years, they need something more updated. I understand that they don't want to include continental championships to prevent imbalance but VNL should definitely get points for ranking. Indeed they can decide a coefficient for each continental championship based on the strength of teams and number of the participants and calculate the world ranking points accordingly such as 1.0 coefficient for Europe, 0,6 for Asia, O.4 for NORCECA and south America, 0.1 for Africa or something like this. Then the imbalance between continents can be compensated.

• Why wouldn’t the VNL count for the rankings? The WGP always counted so are they saying the VNL is less important than the GP or...? :what: And why on Earth have they not decided yet? There’s really no excuse for that. Honestly, the incompetence of this organisation never fails to surprise me even after all these years.

• What the heck!:what: OG and WCH are done only in every 4 years, they need something more updated. I understand that they don't want to include continental championships to prevent imbalance but VNL should definitely get points for ranking. Indeed they can decide a coefficient for each continental championship based on the strength of teams and number of the participants and calculate the world ranking points accordingly such as 1.0 coefficient for Europe, 0,6 for Asia, O.4 for NORCECA and south America, 0.1 for Africa or something like this. Then the imbalance between continents can be compensated.

I agree with your way of thinking ! What means lack of FIVB ranking points ex VNL and/or contental championships ? Both tournaments will not be as important as WC in the near future. Ok so next question why WC is counted into ranking ? Teams (only 11 except Japan) are selected from top teams ex previous WCH or by Confederations' system/decision but there is … no qualification. Most of the teams will not have any chance to get points. As per my opinion VNL (succesor of WL and WGP) and/or Continental Championships with strenght factors should be applied into FIVB ranking. And final word why there is no points reduction by 25 % every year for WC / WCH / OG ?