2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• It literally can't be postponed. Will clash with other events (for volleyball, the 2022 WCh)

In fact I think it already clashed with some athletics and weightlifting championships for 2021, but don't quote me on that.

• I keep forgetting that the Olympics is much larger than just a women's volleyball event

• it sounds like a lose-lose situation for Japan. They won't make money without audience if they want to organize the event anyways, if they won't organize it then all the investment they've already made will be idle

• it sounds like a lose-lose situation for Japan. They won't make money without audience if they want to organize the event anyways, if they won't organize it then all the investment they've already made will be idle

still lots of money for broadcasting rights

• It feels like there is no chance of returning from making it as planned, at this point. We can't just take Japanese politicians and compare with other international politicians I think, we are talking of a country where people suicide because they failed an important task.

What surprised me most is vaccination rates in Japan, it is less than 2% of the population. It is completely logical that you should high vaccination rates if you would like to host such an event in your capital. In Europe the rates are around 25% of the population for the first dose already.

• It feels like there is no chance of returning from making it as planned, at this point. We can't just take Japanese politicians and compare with other international politicians I think, we are talking of a country where people suicide because they failed an important task.

What surprised me most is vaccination rates in Japan, it is less than 2% of the population. It is completely logical that you should high vaccination rates if you would like to host such an event in your capital. In Europe the rates are around 25% of the population for the first dose already.

That 2% is only in Tokyo and Osaka. I read on Mainichi back in March that certain prefectures or rather majority of the people in certain prefectures refused to get vaccinated. That's why at this point, holding every event remote is for the best. I think each country who will be sending their athletes to Japan should give that condition.

• After all the profits don't go out by the entrance fee income.

Additionally it's just said that the energy brought by various comprehensive activity consists of tourist's stay and gift with the economic effect.

The one with the low vaccine inoculation rate is fact, but it's the country with the terrible infection situation to say "The profit exceeds risk.", and exigency isn't in Oceania, Asia and Africa.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Are all athletes be travelling on specific day? Should they just schedule each tournament. Maybe 1 or 3 sport at a time then next set of athletes traveling.

can’t do that with like 30 different sports in “one location”, throw in the Paralympics a month afterwards and it is just going badly real quick. The Olympics would be going on for a month or longer.

Don’t forget some are team sports and some are individual. Are there individual events that some people are participating in multiple times like gymnastics?

Team sports are really the ones that run the entire length of the games.

IOC is at this point pushing it because it needs the money. How hard is it to say Tokyo you get 2024? Paris move back 4 years and LA move back 4 years. This would safe face for all sides and take off some of the pressure. Would it piss of tv networks, yes. IOC at this point keeps painting itself into a corner.

• This is Japanese Emergency

It's different from a European lock down

You do realize that they are technically on the "Golden Week" holiday right now. Ending on May 5th.

First video is just comparing the volume of people in different locations vs. 2020, which was really closed.

• A mask isn't necessary already in China and Australia.

There is hundreds of times of difference by the number of dead per the population in the United States to Thailand and New Zealand.

There are no fines by masking non-wear and an assembly of more than 5 people in Japan. Is Europe a secret police state?

fact.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUE302DB0Q1A430C2000000/

• Hi

I heard that some qualifications tournaments from a other sports are taking place

Do you know thr amoint of sports or athletes already defined for OG

• I heard that some qualifications tournaments from a other sports are taking place

Really many qualifications are taking place.

As I know only volleyball, women's basketball, football, field hockey, water polo and handball (maybe missed something) have defined qualifiers. The rest is still ongoing.

• Japanese swimmer Rikako Ikee is currently trending on twitter for speaking up about the pressure of boycotting the Olympics. She says she was bombarded with messages via social media to decline to participate so that other athletes will follow suit and a chain effect happens. I think she may be the first to speak up about this issue, not counting Shohei Ohtani's pathetic passive aggressive attempt.

It's a whole thread

• Playing in an empty stadium without any spectators? Somehow it didn’t feel empty when we watched the test match...:lol: I like the idea of the virtual seats as well.

South Korea did that for the KOVO Cup, I believe. It certainly made watching the match feel more alive

• argentina women team is planning to prepare for olympics in france

But it isn't confirmed yet