2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Is there any chance Brakocevic could return to the Serbian NT for the Olympics?

I think that her position about national team is completely clear and sais that she is definitely over with that. Even in case of any injury of Boskovic (i am just scared to write that), IMO her return is quite impossible.

• Now another question: who is the youngest volleyball player who attended to OG and who is youngest player won a medal in OG.

I'm guessing one of the Cubans? Or Artamanova? She was 17 when she attended her first OG

• Now another question: who is the youngest volleyball player who attended to OG and who is youngest player won a medal in OG.

I'm guessing one of the Cubans? Or Artamanova? She was 17 when she attended her first OG

Regla Torres was only 17 in Barcelona 1992. I guess she was the youngest player and medalist.

• Regla Torres was the youngest Gold medalist, but Artamonova also competed in 1992 and she's 4 months younger than Torres. However I'm not sure if not maybe in one of the African teams in the last tournaments there was some very young player :/

• Roslandy Acosta played in Beijing and was only 16 at the time. Indeed, a few members of that Venezuela team were 16/17 but she was youngest of all.

• Egonu was 17 years 7 months and 19 days old in Rio 2016.

• I don't think Brakocevic could partecipate with Serbia now that she has italian "sport nationality" (not sure if it's the right way to say it in english)

I think that rule is - If she had played for the Italian National team, she would not have been able to play again for Serbia. But in case that i am right, personally i completely agree and think that someone who played with "new" passport will not be able in future to play again for her/his "previous" country.

• I don't think Brakocevic could partecipate with Serbia now that she has italian "sport nationality" (not sure if it's the right way to say it in english)

Floortje Meijners has a Turkish passport right? She played for the Netherlands Again, so I think it's possible if you haven't played for that county...:/

• Citizenship doesn't change anything.

A player has to change it's homeland volleyball federation to be its player. To do this you need to have citizenship at first.

So Brakocević would have to take her volleyball licence from Serbian VF, transfer it to Italian VF and after 2 years suspension she would be able to play for Italian NT.

So it's really complicated to play for another NT. All this citizenship cases are done only for national leagues purposes - most of the leagues accepts dual citizenship and players are counted as national players in each country. This is allowed in Italy, but f.e. not in Poland - you need to be able to play in NT, only then you are counted as national player.

• Floortje Meijners has a Turkish passport right? She played for the Netherlands Again, so I think it's possible if you haven't played for that county...:/

I think it's a different situation, she probably has double passport but hasn't changed her "sport" nationality (again i don't know what's the term). When Brakocevic played in Modena for instance already had italian citizenship (she was already Brakocevic-Canzian), but still counted as a foreigner on court, she changed it just this year; I know there's some procedure to follow and if I'm not wrong Novara payed for it. But I'm really not sure about the rules for national team

• per FIVB Sporting Regulations 2018

CHANGE OF FEDERATION OF ORIGIN

5.1 GENERAL

A player's Federation of Origin may be changed only once. Changes of Federation of Origin may be approved only by the FIVB Executive Committee, upon proposal of the FIVB President, and provided that the right to be heard of the current Federation of Origin has been respected.

5.2 CONDITIONS

A change of Federation of Origin (hereinafter "the Change") may be approved only if the following conditions are cumulatively met:

5.2.1 The player has established residence in the country of his new Federation of Origin (hereinafter "the new Federation") for a minimum of two (2) continuous years immediately prior to the time of filing the application for the Change.

5.2.2 The player has obtained the nationality of the country of the new Federation.

5.2.3 The player's Federation of Origin agrees to the Change.

5.2.4 The new Federation agrees to the Change.

5.2.5 The applicable administration fee for the Change has been paid to the FIVB (see Article 5.3 below).

• PROCEDURE

5.3.1 The following documents shall be submitted to the FIVB:

a. One (1) original copy of the respective FIVB form (see http://www.fivb.org), duly signed and stamped by the player, his Federation of Origin and the new Federation; and

b. Proof of two (2) years continuous residence in the country of the new Federation. Residence means the place where the player “lives and sleeps” and can be found in the majority of the days of the year; and

c. Copy of the player’s International Passport of the country of the new Federation.

5.3.2 The administrative fee for a Change is CHF 15,000 (fifteen thousand Swiss Francs). If the player has played for a senior national team, the applicable administrative fee is CHF 25,000 (twenty-five thousand Swiss Francs).

5.4 SPECIAL CASES

5.4.1 If the player has never played for any national team and already had the nationality of the country of the new Federation at birth, the FIVB may approve the Change as follows:

a. The conditions of Article 5.2 shall be met, except for the condition of 2-year continuous residence.

b. The documents mentioned under Article 5.3.1.a and 5.3.1.c above shall be submitted to FIVB, along with proof of when the player acquired the nationality of the country of the new Federation.

c. The applicable administration fee is CHF 2,000 (two thousand Swiss Francs).

d. The National Federations involved and the FIVB may agree that the Player’s transfers between the two (2) National Federations will be exempted from the payment of administration and transfer fees.

a. the player has established residence in the country of the new Federation for a minimum of eight (8) continuous years; and

b. the application for a Change is filed with the FIVB on or after the

1st of January of the calendar year during which the player turns

35 (for men) or 32 (for women); and

c. the conditions of Article 5.2.2 (nationality) as well as Article 5.2.4

(agreement of the new Federation) are met and the player's Federation of Origin does not raise reasonable and justifiable objections to the Change,

the condition of Article 5.2.5 (administration fee) shall be waived.

• if you can find $25,000 (playing on a senior national team and admin fee, roughly 25,000 Swiss francs), you can do this, but still Expensive and getting your original federation to let you do it.

• This canard about Brakocevic and her not being able to play for Serbia was a favourite peddle of pope's, and no matter how many times he was shown to be inaccurate, he would always come back later to claim it again. As people said, her taking citizenship was solely done for club purposes (plus, she kinda had to take the citizenship anyway, marrying an Italian national and all that), as is the case of vast majority of dual citizenship cases. People on sport forums such as these inevitable get all excited whenever any half-decent player takes a second citizenship, but in 9 cases out of 10, that step has nothing to do with NT.

• This canard about Brakocevic and her not being able to play for Serbia was a favourite peddle of pope's, and no matter how many times he was shown to be inaccurate, he would always come back later to claim it again. As people said, her taking citizenship was solely done for club purposes (plus, she kinda had to take the citizenship anyway, marrying an Italian national and all that), as is the case of vast majority of dual citizenship cases. People on sport forums such as these inevitable get all excited whenever any half-decent player takes a second citizenship, but in 9 cases out of 10, that step has nothing to do with NT.

I did some digging, I'm bored and I have a lot of free time today :rolll:

It wasn't the most recent documentation (2016) but I doubt much has changed.

Having italian citizenship is not enough to play as italian: you either have to change Federation, or haven't taken part of activities of the original Federation for more than 4 years (I guess this means taking part of the national team?). That's why when Brakocevic was in Modena in 2016/17 she counted as a foreigner on court even though she already had italian citizenship (here you can see she still has Serbian nationality but got married in 2014), while this year I guess she changed Federation, since she took part of Olympics in 2016 with Serbia (so no 4 years gap). So I'm guessing that if it was a change of Federation just from this year she shouldn't be eligible for Serbia? It would be just from this year though, so if they were talking about this previously it definetly was untrue.

I think Gabriela Perez del Solar might be between the youngest ones. She was 16 yo, 18 days when she attended to Los Angeles 84.

Roslandy Acosta was 16 yo 6 months in Beijing 08.

• Will there be Tokyo OG next year. We are now halfway 2020 and virus cases are still climbing up. When will they allow players to train? Will the US Team able to train given the events in the country?

• Will there be Tokyo OG next year. We are now halfway 2020 and virus cases are still climbing up. When will they allow players to train? Will the US Team able to train given the events in the country?

if you are looking at this as a US team issue, the answer is easy! Yes they’ll be able to train.

It may be more if players are overseas and cannot get back to USA.

USA has the Training center In Anaheim, so they could train together in the off season.

As for the Olympic Games, if they do go ahead, it maybe limited to athletes, coaches and officials (volunteers, Referees, etc.). All would have to arrive very early, be quarantined for 2 weeks. The Olympic village is designed for multiple people (2 per room) and could be a nightmare if people do not go through quarantine before the games. Masks will be required when not in competition, and spacing on buses to venues will be social distanced as good as possible.

Japan can do it well, and while it may seem impossible right now, they might be the only one’s that could pull this off. Still it is very dependent on following their cultural rules (Putting the many before the one) and athletes being diligent and prudent in following those requirements. If an athlete is not willing to do that, then they will be excluded from participating.