Japan Women's NT 2021

• The whole too high/too low discussion is over my head, but maybe Haruka's toss got lower when she stopped jumping? I had to do a double/triple take to be sure it was Miyashita in that video. She isn't like that any more. What a beautiful connection with Miyu. It has that "I know what you like" quality

I wonder if setters that jump too much are prone to spinal injuries. Sato also suffered from that and Takeshita was saying something about being injured at some point but I don't recall what it was

• There's another setter in that video, the one with long hair...

Miyashita was noticeably pushed aside by late 2017 or early 2018? when Tominaga was main with Tashiro and Sato. I don't remember the exact timeline of changes anymore.

Saori for one wasn't much of a jumper so she didn't need a super high toss. Miyashita took advantage of Nagaoka's freak whack back in those days.

That’s Kanami Tashiro if i’m not mistaken. She’s still have a bit long hair there then.

• Watching that video reminded me what an elegant passer Saori was :heart:

• Miyashita was trained as an OH before being converted to setter so she did have quite the jump but she became less aggressive in nature.

Sakoda and Nagaoka were both freakishly strong and had high verticals so both hit better when the ball is at a slightly raised angle, I think that's exactly what Miyashita did, the bullet train effect. I don't remember if Miyashita utilised the middles or Shinnabe who was literally the opposite of Nagaoka.

• I think the biggest reason for her becoming less aggressive would be to prevent getting seriously injured. It's just unlike her to hold back when she was the one always slamming into things and ruining those barrier thingies lol

• I love this term "freak whack"

• This is what happens when we don't get any news.

I still want Koga to play overseas since they've started placements in Italy and Poland for the boys.

i don't see that happening right now for koga or any female players. well, except tashiro

• bolt I can't answer the toss issue but I wanna add, although this was already mentioned here several times before, that Miyashita is prone to anxiety attacks. That imo is the biggest difference between her and Sato.

Here's an example from their loss against Korea in 2019 where Miyashita blames herself. She was obviously on the verge of crying here but you can see that she was really trying to hold it in.

• Irisawa is not exactly huge but I guess she does look like a giant there.

If they ever find a good middle or spiker that's Kim Hill's height that would be a miracle. JVA is holding try-outs starting this month I think. But I read somewhere that those try-outs always flop and they just basically send whoever they think has potential straight to V2

• JVA is holding try-outs starting this month I think. But I read somewhere that those try-outs always flop and they just basically send whoever they think has potential straight to V2

Can you say more about that? What age group? Is it some pre-pre-training camp thing?

It doesn't make sense to send anyone with potential to V2. Out of the 50 or so who were called to the last training camp I'm aware of in 2019 not a single one went to V2. They either go to college or V1

• Can you say more about that? What age group? Is it some pre-pre-training camp thing?

It doesn't make sense to send anyone with potential to V2. Out of the 50 or so who were called to the last training camp I'm aware of in 2019 not a single one went to V2. They either go to college or V1

JVA Elite Academy https://www.jva.or.jp/index.php/topics/eaa2021

The "rejects" from Mayu's generation for example, go straight to V2 or startup clubs