Italian Women's NT 2023

• The part you mention of the post-match interviews was truly enlightening and embarrassing...

More than Fantasia's (very right) words, it is particularly important to listen to the embarrassment of Giulia Pisani, his commentary partner, and how she didn't want to continue the discussion by dribbling the answer...

Giulia Pisani is in fact a FIPAV employee: she is the Team manager of the national youth teams...

I would also highlight how pissed off was Consuelo Mangifesta while interviewing Mazzanti...she kept asking whether he would have changed some convocations after all but to no avail, he kept talking about the process..

• I don't think any of the names you are giving can be realistic...

Especially Bregoli, who was purged by Mazzanti after the Olympics, precisely because he didn't share his "vision"...

I am truly terrified that in the case of a total failure at the OC, which would make Mazzanti's position indefensible, the only name on which the federation could bet is the unpresentable (at senior/pro level) MENCARELLI...

I really tremble thinking about this possibility...

I know, I was more answering to the proposed names rather than effectively wanting them.

Partial exception is Bregoli, precisely because he stepped away as soon as he realized we were in a slippery slope and did manage that absurdity of 2021 VNL trying to get the best from a team without rhyme or reason, destined to be trashed most of the time.

I want to spend a couple of words about Manfredi too: what he said after the match was even worse that the already delusional statement from Mazzanti, because he basically refused to take any blame or responsibility for what's going on and basically said that the players aren't good enough for higher achievements. Considering we're talking about wanting some radical changes, you look at the issue of these kind of guys, only interested in keeping their positions and the power that comes from these, in the place of competent people, who might care about the state of volleyball. So, I do wonder if appointing a woman as the head of federation might turn a few heads. Just to name one, I don't believe Francesca Piccinini would have said these kind of things or, even better, would have let the problems we're experiencing rot until the point of no return. Not only she was a player (and what a player), but she's a woman and she can relate more easily to the girls. That's probably one of the reasons of Mangifesta's sharpness in the interviews with Mazzanti and Pisani's reluctance to handle the topic.

Last, but not least, a gem I forgot to post yesterday:

That sums it up just fine of the mockery we're witnessing.

• I'd like to share what Marco Fantasia (Raisport commentator, very competent and clear although sometimes his love for team Italy has the best of his impartial comment, but hands down one of the best) said: "We are the only country/federation that, when there is a problem within the team, chooses to prioritize the coach instead of the players"

That is Italy rn in a nutshell

You are absolutely not the only one... :wavy:

• sorry, didn't backread. but was there a discussion on egonu not going to the OQT? some tweet said so.

Egonu will not be in the list of athletes for the next OCs: this is taken for granted...

It is not yet known if she has been excluded or if she withdrew...

As usual, there is no official communication. ..

• So it is almost official Paola Egonu is not gone be OQT

My God. I hope Italy is gone lose as many as possible matches at the same tournament. I hope Lubian is gone withdraw.

• Playing the 2024 VNL at full gas is another problem, because it forces you to be close to your best condition way too early. And don't forget we'll have to play the World Championship qualifier.

I'm with you about having a different coach, but who can realistically be without changing the rule?

I dont think it would be a problem as long the team will rotate well by giving each player 2 weeks of holidays like turkey did, it can turn out just fine!

• I'd like to share what Marco Fantasia (Raisport commentator, very competent and clear although sometimes his love for team Italy has the best of his impartial comment, but hands down one of the best) said: "We are the only country/federation that, when there is a problem within the team, chooses to prioritize the coach instead of the players"

That is Italy rn in a nutshell

Belgium: hold my glass😂

• Belgium: hold my glass😂

Well...at least they changed coach...they probably did a bigger mess but still:lol:

Here we are still stuck at step 0: acknowledge the mess.

Maybe the players should stand up, like some belgians did...

• Well...at least they changed coach...they probably did a bigger mess but still:lol:

Here we are still stuck at step 0: acknowledge the mess.

Maybe the players should stand up, like some belgians did...

I think so too, I expect those players come together and go ballistic on Mazzanti just like he deserves and then federation wouldn't be able to sweep things under the carpet anymore😒

• Belgium isn`t the top team in the world and never has been. However, what the Italian federation is doing with the women's team is sabotage. It's hard to call it anything else. They probably want to bask in the successes of the men's team and don't want to worry about the women's team. They probably regret the money to break the contract with Mazzanti (it ends after Paris 2024). As if one thing excluded the other and you couldn't have two medals: men's and women's in Paris. I have a problem with the Italian federation. On the one hand, they work well with juniors (numerous medals) but on the other hand, they waste the potential of these players in seniors, especially women. For me, consciously destroying the female staff is sabotage. In Italy volleyball is the main team sport for women and they cannot afford to destroy it. Such France has: football, basketball, handball, etc. Likewise Spain. If Italy fails to qualify the volleyball team, the one women's team sport they will have in Paris is water polo. I am surprised that CONI (Italian Olympic Association) agrees to this and does nothing about it.

• It is similar to what happened in Poland. When mens team was average, everyone was caring about womens team. But when men became top team, the federation didn’t care about women anymore. It looks very similar in Itsly right now.

• It is similar to what happened in Poland. When mens team was average, everyone was caring about womens team. But when men became top team, the federation didn’t care about women anymore. It looks very similar in Itsly right now.

I guess I should be grateful that our men's team is so awful....

• China is generally weak in men's team sports: football, basketball, volleyball, etc. It seems to me that China focuses more on individual sports, e.g. diving, gymnastics, etc. You can win 15-20 gold medals at the Olympics there. In volleyball, basketball only 2.

China concentrates in sports that are not highly popular and they take advantage of it very well.