Japan Women's NT 2023

• Is it just Irisawa? Or do you dislike Koga now :lol:

It's Mayu. You miss Mayu

• Mayu brings different things to this team. And are probably better with her on the court.

Japan could have sleepwalked through the first three matches to get to 3-0. China would be another story of course due to the height and experience of the team.

still 3-1 after 4 matches, not complaining as the schedule gets tougher, how will they fair against the teams above them in the World Rankings.

• I don't particularly dislike anyone. it's just not a squad I can confidently say is promising enough to root for even with nishimura and araki. i don't feel excited watching them and i did try not just today.

i could never hate koga.

Well, I hear ya. It's the middles for me, (setting aside Seki). They're green. That's scary. Wang YY was 10/13. Irisawa was 1/7

• As soon as those sets hit deuce, I was confident Japan would lose them. That's not cool

• It's unfair that Inoue is part of the ace promotion when Hayashi continues to back up Koga in scoring and Inoue only goes after the easiest matches to score more than Koga. Same as with last year nothing has changed. She got traded for Tanaka not that it got better during that point and as we saw today even Wada receives better than Inoue. She does what she can but she's not completing the trinity of this team pre-Paris. And there people who suspect Hayashi of underperforming when Inoue could have stepped up her game a whole lot.

• It's unfair that Inoue is part of the ace promotion when Hayashi continues to back up Koga in scoring and Inoue only goes after the easiest matches to score more than Koga. Same as with last year nothing has changed. She got traded for Tanaka not that it got better during that point and as we saw today even Wada receives better than Inoue. She does what she can but she's not completing the trinity of this team pre-Paris. And there people who suspect Hayashi of underperforming when Inoue could have stepped up her game a whole lot.

chill. it's just one match where inoue has to be subbed.

• chill. it's just one match where inoue has to be subbed.

mmm

There is a pattern. It's remarkable to me how loudly she announces she's not dialed in

• Spectators: 5,491

• Japan did ok this first week. No one is really above and beyond to be honest. The team seems to be adjusting with each other. Still a lot of uncharacteristic errors even against lower ranked teams. Happy that Manabe tried other OH combinations this week(, thought it was during their trying times though).

For the newbies, I think Araki is the most impressive. Good attack, able blocks and great defense behind. Irisawa was interesting but too much timid in the attacking side of things. I could see a future in her for the team but I think there are enough NT veterans that could definitely replace her. Wada was ok as a double sub. Error here and there but does well in pressure situation. Her start as OH was fine too. Tanaka seems to follow the faiths of the Ageo girls last season. Were good but is unable to produce during crucial moments. Nishimura(?) is like Sato last time, a tall player playing small. Nishimura was great but I think the past two liberos did better internationally (especially Kojima) against much tighter players.

Koga, Hayashi and Inoue did ok for the most part but the China games showed the need for someone to deliver off the bench, which is definitely is Ishikawa. Both Wada and Tanaka were noteworthy but not game-changing. Seki is so erratic this week. Lots of awful off sets, and lacking of distribution during crucial moments but her defense was amazing. Matsui is a non-factor so far. Hoping for a general improvement for the next weeks.

PS: Wished Japan continues this streak of introducing new players. I think the setting and OH positions needs more new bloods to be tested to be honest.

• What's Wada's ranking as far as options go for Japan's wings? Is she the 4th, 5th, etc option?

Araki's float serve is nasty. I like it! :lol:

I would say Wada's rank is unknown at this point. She plays non-receiving OP with JT, so seeing her step in as receiving OH last night and kill some balls was surprising

She might play her way into more court time but there's always Mayu Ishikawa coming back. I think Hayashi is untouchable, Don't know if Inoue is going to get stable. She's a very fine hitter tho

Assuming Koga has one spot, Wada's gotta beat one of those three. Inoue is the most vulnerable but Wada's gotta prove she can receive and she doesn't have much playing time doing that

Japan is serving very well, I think. Araki and Seki sneaked in a few of those lollipops I love

• That's the 3rd block of Irisawa that is credited to Araki in the stats :white:

That is pretty weird. Irisawa is credited with zero blocks in the stats

Here's that third one. I cut two pics because you need to see that the ball ended up on the other side of the court:

• Here's another Irisawa block. I wonder how often they get these things so wrong.

• OMG

This is the one that landed

I thought maybe you wouldn't get credited for a block if an opponent touches the ball before it hits the floor. Clearly nobody got anywhere near that one. And no one besides Irisawa could be wrongly credited with the block. Poor girl

• Araki was always credited for the Irisawa points even though Araki is serving that time. I’m monitoring the realtime stats of fivb so I’m pretty sure it was credited to Araki :lol:

During the other match that Kojima the as used in the latter set, all her reception and digs was credited to Nishimura. If you’ll check the volleystation stat sheet, there are no reception stats at all for Kojima :lol:

• I wanna see Wada on left rather than on the right since Hayashi is already getting used to that side.

Seki almost reminded me of Sakae. I was getting a little bit annoyed with her toss.

Overall this week only revealed Wada's potential but Manabe isn't going to let her get that starting spot because she's too short

• Araki was always credited for the Irisawa points even though Araki is serving that time. I’m monitoring the realtime stats of fivb so I’m pretty sure it was credited to Araki :lol:

During the other match that Kojima the as used in the latter set, all her reception and digs was credited to Nishimura. If you’ll check the volleystation stat sheet, there are no reception stats at all for Kojima :lol:

This can’t go unpunished :mad: