Japan Women's NT 2023

• JPN pretty much lost when GER took the 5 point lead in the final set. Given that they are a smaller team without a surefire serving game, it was just a matter of time or luck. The serves did not work this time this time around, and Orthmann took over the German offense.

Overall, JPN is still very error prone and has yet to find their consistent groove like last year. Too much service error and miscues which is not expected. Koga took some time to really reach her efficiency but was pretty much firing well towards the late portion of the match. Hayashi did solidly well AND Inoue started great but lost steam out towards the end. Seki's backrow sets is also starting to be well telegraphed though it resulted to practically having the MBs to be well utilized - which she should continue. Seki's defense is also very suspect this game. Araki and Yamada >>>>. I think this is the best MB duo in the longest while. Flexible offense and great block coverage. Also, a lot of quirky substitution mid-game, the Wada-Irisawa double sub.

Also, as noted, Koga is again showing leadership during timeout. I wish she develops these nurturing skills in court too, because they look like they are walking in eggshells when their on their own their. They look really defeated when they are making small errors AND you just could feel it.

Some good points but a lot of bad ones :lol:

Nevertheless, I enjoy your wrap ups :drink:

• JPN pretty much lost when GER took the 5 point lead in the final set. Given that they are a smaller team without a surefire serving game, it was just a matter of time or luck. The serves did not work this time this time around, and Orthmann took over the German offense.

Overall, JPN is still very error prone and has yet to find their consistent groove like last year. Too much service error and miscues which is not expected. Koga took some time to really reach her efficiency but was pretty much firing well towards the late portion of the match. Hayashi did solidly well AND Inoue started great but lost steam out towards the end. Seki's backrow sets is also starting to be well telegraphed though it resulted to practically having the MBs to be well utilized - which she should continue. Seki's defense is also very suspect this game. Araki and Yamada >>>>. I think this is the best MB duo in the longest while. Flexible offense and great block coverage. Also, a lot of quirky substitution mid-game, the Wada-Irisawa double sub.

Also, as noted, Koga is again showing leadership during timeout. I wish she develops these nurturing skills in court too, because they look like they are walking in eggshells when their on their own their. They look really defeated when they are making small errors AND you just could feel it.

allow me to make a few bad points in response :lol:

I think Japan's serving game is pretty surefire. I would say of all the VB skills a team can possess, it's right up there with their defense this year. It's remarkable to me. It was killer today for a spell, but at the end, not so much. At least a couple errors which, when you are attempting pressure you are going to have. Sad it didn't work at the end because then it is debilitating, which becomes a self fulfilling disaster

Koga started slow and picked up but Hayashi was most disappointing to me today. I hardly pay attention to Inoue any more but from time to time I noticed her hitting a good one. These are the same pins as last year. And I don't know that they had a groove last year that they don't have this year, but we're just getting going

Agree that Seki's back row sets are a little more obvious (as are her middle quickies) and didn't work as well today but I don't know that it is entirely her fault. I missed her suspect defense. I remember a couple outstanding plays, maybe I just missed the bad ones. What would her suspect defense look like? Not chasing? Not diving?

"Araki and Yamada >>>>" ... yes

Those faux dub subs Manabe does where he puts a blocker in the front and a server in the back. I like those. Is "quirky" good or bad? :lol:

I guess we actually mostly agree. I think I may have driven off with the "looking defeated" and "walking on eggshells" ... I sometimes see that but mostly not, and not really today. That's one of the main reasons I like Japanese volleyball: Not a lot of pouting or loser face -- tho Irisawa has to get up to speed on that :cheesy:

In the end, Japan kicked ass in one set and a couple of our German friends got worried. I wrote in response that getting punched in the face worries me less than crumbling when push comes to shove. That's a what a Tie Break is. I am concerned that Japan doesn't push back when they get shoved -- maybe that's also the "groove" of which you speak from last year? I do remember being happy that Japan may have found that magic potion last year

• does Japan have a chance to get into the top 8?

I think so. If monkeys fly out of my butt.

• does Japan have a chance to get into the top 8?

with Canada’s loss to DR, Japan is 1 full win and points ahead of Canada.

Japan already with 4 wins and 14 points (5 to play)

Canada with 3 wins and 10 points (4 to play)

DR with 3 wins and 7 points (5 to play)

and this is before Italy’s result with Netherlands.

Japan will still be ahead of Italy, if Italy wins match 7 today.

Top 8 looks really likely in my mind.

• Even if they make top 8 they're no longer a strong team. Struggling and ultimately losing to Serbia and Germany is a very bad sign. Hurry up and replace Seki get rid of Nishikawa and Watanabe and get Nagaoka on board. Get rid of Irisawa as well she's had her run.

Manabe really wasted this second leg.

• I'm starting to miss Momii but since Manabe destroyed Nakada's Mayu - Hayashi - Momii trinity it's been boring as hell

• Whoa, can it be true

7 Shibata

3 Koga

34 Araki

37 Wada

4 Ishikawa

11 Yamada

• Let your hair down YUKIKO :!:

• <3 YUKIKO <3

• Is this what we expected with Koga / Mayu playing together? That Koga would shrivel up?

8/34 @24% 9% Efficiency

3 errors

• <3 YUKIKO <3

• Wada is a superstar :love:

Here's the deal with Yukiko:

She was a big deal in a tier 2 high school which means only coaches notice her, no fan love. So they gave her the 2019 Cornacchia World Cup which she Captain'd and MVP'd. Then the U18 World Championship 2019 which Japan came in 5th ... so not much, but then Covid shut everything down. She had to claw her way around with JT Marvelous who hire BCS OPs, but she did start making a mark. It was a surprise (to me) she got picked for the NT because she wasn't a leader of any League team. But here she is. One advantage she was in this tournament is there is not a lot of data on her. We'll see how things go. And if she gets another start over Hayashi ... who's no slouch!