Italy - Serie A1 2023/24

• De Gennaro as MVP is such a recognition. This was not at all her best match, she was below her standards and the performances we are used to get from her, but at the end, she was one of the most regular players of Conegliano during the match. Sometimes I was surprised (in a negative way), by her reception, but then I remember libero isnt only that skill: but organise the defense. And she was doing that when Gennari and Bardaro came in, as well as organising the block. It is like having an almost 2nd coach in the field (and Daniele trust him, ofc). Not many liberos can do this (sure it comes with experience). Flashy defenses arent all.

• De Gennaro as MVP is such a recognition. This was not at all her best match, she was below her standards and the performances we are used to get from her, but at the end, she was one of the most regular players of Conegliano during the match. Sometimes I was surprised (in a negative way), by her reception, but then I remember libero isnt only that skill: but organise the defense. And she was doing that when Gennari and Bardaro came in, as well as organising the block. It is like having an almost 2nd coach in the field (and Daniele trust him, ofc). Not many liberos can do this (sure it comes with experience). Flashy defenses arent arent all.

I think that the reason that she got MVP was her defense. Was probably her best match in defense of the season.

• Just to put into perspective of how spectacular Antropova is from the service line this season, its relevant to put her stats during this campaign in light with some historical background or context.

The one with most aces last season was Antropova herself with 53 aces. Karakurt was second with 41 aces last season. Egonu was the serve leader 2021/2022 with 49 aces and Hancock in 20/21 with 58 aces and Egonu finished on top in 18/19 with 52 hits. Bricio prevailed in 17/18 with 52 killed serves. Katarina Barun, the Croatian legend, dispatched 57 aces in 16/17 and thus out-manuvered the remaining field that year. Barun was also the main gun in the 15/16 campaign with 41 and Valentina Zago with 45 in 13/14. Artamonova went into pole position in 00/01 with 41 and De Carne with 47 in 01/02. Floortje Meijners was the leader in 12/13 with 31 aces. All numbers include both regular season and playoff.

Virginie De Carne had 74 aces in 02/03 and it is the highest number I can find in the database and should be the record until this season (since 1998).

Now Antropova has 82 aces (!!!) already with (at least) two games left to play. She has 0,74 aces per set while Egonu, who is second, has 0,47 aces per set and 50 aces.

Of course I might have missed something and cannot say for sure this is an all-time record, but I would say it seems to be extremely likely. No one else, except for Virginie De Carne, seems to be even remotely close to reaching that mark, not even legendary servers such as Hanckok, Egonu, Bricio and Barun as no one of them ever reached beyond 60 aces.

• wow that’s crazy! I also love reading historical posts like these

• Nice overview! I hope one day we can watch she and Arina at the same league to see who is the ace queen. I have a soft spot for good jump servers😍

• Also just an observation:

Antropova's serves have minimal spin which should be better categorised as hybrid serve.

Most other jump servers are more like traditional jump spinner servers.

Safe to say Antropova is the women side of Mateusz Bieniek!