Champions League 2009/2010

• Champions League set to start again tomorrow :) I've been waiting for my favourite tournament to kick off for quite some time already :) Here is some more information on CEV's website:

http://www.cev.lu/mmp/online/w…ne/755/1711/16035_EN.html

They are mentioning some problems that Jihostroj Ceske Budejovice are facing before the opening game tomorrow evening. Their key player this season Radek Motys (opposite) is currently injured and will probably miss the game. However, it's strange that two of the teams with most problems this year are opening the campaign because Dinamo is far from its best shape, they are ranked 9th in the Russian Superleague at the moment with a record of 2 victories and 5 defeats, so they will need to work a lot to make sure not to disappoint in the IECL against Olympiacos and Trentino.

There are also many more interesting games in the first round, but we will discuss them soon. I hope the streaming at Laola1 will be great this year again to follow the games and especially the big clashes in the first round - Olympiacos vs. Trentino and both games in Pool E in Germany and Poland!

btw, it's nice to have the IECL prediction game for a second consecutive year :)

• Jihostroj CESKE BUDEJOVICE (CZE) vs. Dinamo MOSCOW (RUS) 1:3 (36-34, 14-25, 9-25, 23-25) stats

In Pool A Czech champion Jihostroj CESKE BUDEJOVICE had a great start in its first match against Russian powerhouse Dinamo MOSCOW. All the fans of the local team got an exciting show in the first set. Jihostroj had more than 8 set points and the Czechs eventually notched that set at 36-34! The players of Dinamo were a little bit surprised as they were expecting an easy game. In the second set Dinamo re-gained full control of the game and suddenly there was only one team on the court. Especially the attacks of Roman Yakovlev (best scorer of the match with 18 points) caused big problems to the hosts and the match was over in 107 minutes. Czech coach Brom said: “We are satisfied with our game in the first set; I think we showed that we are able to play some great volleyball. Dinamo is one of the best teams in Europe and I think they are candidates for the Final Four. I have to thank to our fans too, the atmosphere in the hall was fantastic.” For Jihostroj that was quite a good result since they clinched their first set in the CEV Indesit Champions League. “We hope it was not the last” says Radek Motys, one of the best players for the hosts.
    CEV

• İstanbul B. Şehir Belediyesi 3 - 0 Paris Volley
    25-17 , 25-19, 25-23
    İBB played so well .....

• I agree, and even if I don't like Paris, it was painful to see the team looking so bad compared to IBB.

• :what: ..... :lol:
    you guys are pathetic. Skra Jastrzebie no comment :) Resovia played awful match in the first 3 sets but thank god Wika saved their arses :P

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Congatulatin for CAI Teruel, they were on wave in three last sets.

Wlazly is not in his optimal shape yet, Falasca played awful today, Kurek and Antiga- I expected much more.

Good play of Bąkiewicz, Możdżonek and Wnuk only.

Anyway, I dont know how it happened we lost :aww:

• Panathinaikos played without 3 starters (Agamez, Christofidelis & Pantaleon) and without substitute middle blocker Chatziantoniou. And because of that, their 4th outside hitter (Minoudis) played as a middle blocker for the first time in his career.
    Can somebody, who watched the game, tell what happened and Jastrzębski lost. Because I am very surprised from the result. Did Jastrzębski underestimate Panathinaikos?

• I watched the game (thanks to Justyna :) ) and the truth is that PAO played relatively well even without half of their squad. Lappas made a great game, Samica very convincing as usual, the second opposite Ntonas also made a lot of points, but I personally didn't like his style of attacking.. the guy seems to jump very little. But he was stable enough to help Zagumny and as a result Panathinaikos won. On the other side, I should also say that Jastrzebski played awfully. I hope they can show much more than that. Lomacz made some mistakes, both their opposites were not lucky today, I know Yudin is a good player in general, however, it's the first time I see Pedro Azenha in action and I was far from impressed.. I can say positive things today only about Szczygiel and Czarnowski in the middle, and maybe Pecherz, the rest didn't play convincingly enough. In this pool, where Friedrichshafen demolished Piacenza, it's hard to see Jastrzebski reaching the next round, but who knows...

• I want to comment two games - Zenit - CSKA 1:3 (24:26 25:23 25:19 25:18)

and Olympiacos - Trentino 2:3 (28:26 25:19 18:25 22:25 9:15)

Zenit was equal to CSKA im the game without the americans. Cheremishin, Panteleymonenko and Tetyukhin were not enough.
    Nikolay Ivanov is much better setter than their second setter. Todorov killed them with 5 blocks in the first two sets.
    At 19:16 for CSKA Ball and Clayton entered the game. When the level of setting was equalized it was obvious that Zenit
    will win this because they have 4 powerful spikers and CSKA has 2. The serve started to work and Todorov was eliminated from the
    attack because of lack of perfect reception in CSKA team. Only Mayio left and then the normal thing happened.
    I have to say that CSKA crushed Zenit on block (16:8) mainly because Todorov and because of the second setter of Zenit
    Zenit had greate defense and catched a lot of perfectly set hits which their block didn't catch.
    The game als showed that if you play lower than 100% against CSKA you can loose 3:0. Especially if you serve doesn't work.
    This gives me hope for victories in home if they continue to underestimate CSKA and give them light serving.
    Todorov with 7 blocks! In his first game on high level (international game). Not bad against those huge guys from Zenit. He is 208 cm after all,
    not bad height for a very high jumping guy.

Olympiacos - Trentino was heading for straight 0:3 loss as it should be, but Visotto gave the first set to the greeks.
    In the second set Trento didn't play as a team and lost with difference. Then the machine started working - they placed Matey as
    opposite and put Herpe on the field. The polish setter with the hard spelling name was very good at the precise setting
    and Matey Kaziyski and HUnatorena need only precise balls to hit over the blocks. I must say that Copra is right - without
    Kazyiski Trento would be good, but not that good team, totally beatable by Olympiacos. In this game Matey played very powerful game
    - all the time over triple and dobule blocks, like in the good old days :)

About polish teams - The last year they started the same way, but later it was very different. It is early to worry my fellow european
    citizens :)

• It was real torture to watch Polish teams yesterday. None of them played well and - it is actually even more sad - they didn't play against great teams and only one managed to win. I mean: 1)Panathinaikos is a big name, but used to be much better, than it is right now; 2) CAI Teruel... well, if Skra wants to succeed in CHL, shouldn't lose against such team, with all the respect to them; 3) I also can't see Slovenian Bled in best "8" of Champions League and Resovia had terrible problems to beat them.
    Players of Skra looked like "living dead" in two last sets. A lot of players is very tired, but... well... if they want to be real power in Europe, they should get used to so many matches. Unfortunatelly, Falasca was playing much worse agfainst his countrymen, than Zagumny for example (Zagumny makes a big differenc on Panathinaikos favour)...
    So, if we add both male and female CHL matches we have: 1 win-4 loses. Not bad :roll: But last year it was even worse: all Polish teams lost their first matches :lol: and it was better later. I hope for the replay this year...

P.S. YavorD has mentioned about Pedro Azenha. He showed himself as a very good substitute, had some great actions, but made several really stupid mistakes in deciding moments. He doesn't play a lot, so I think he didn't handle the pressure. Too bad - he could have been a hero of Jastrzębie.
    P.S.2. In all matches I watched, there were many referees' mistakes again :(

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Hey, where r the statistics from the champions league, I couldn't find them on the CEV site?

• Olympiacos PIRAEUS (GRE) vs. TRENTINO BetClic (ITA) 2:3 (28-26, 25-19, 18-25, 22-25, 9-15) stats
    Zenit KAZAN (RUS) vs. CSKA SOFIA (BUL) 3:1 (24-26, 25-23, 25-18, 25-17) stats
    TOURS VB (FRA) vs. Unicaja ALMERIA (ESP) 3:2 (26-28, 25-22, 27-25, 20-25, 15-9) stats
    Noliko MAASEIK (BEL) vs. Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA (MNE) 3:1 (24-26, 25-20, 25-16, 25-17) stats
    Lube Banca Marche MACERATA (ITA) vs. Hypo Tirol INNSBRUCK (AUT) 3:0 (25-23, 25-22, 25-17) stats
    CAI TERUEL (ESP) vs. PGE Skra BELCHATOW (POL) 3:2 (20-25, 22-25, 25-16, 25-22, 15-12) stats
    Radnicki KRAGUJEVAC (SRB) vs. Knack Randstad ROESELARE (BEL) 1:3 (23-25, 20-25, 25-22, 17-25) stats
    VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (GER) vs. CoprAtlantide PIACENZA (ITA) 3:0 (25-18, 29-27, 25-18 ) stats
    JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel S.A. (POL) vs. Panathinaikos ATHENS (GRE) 1:3 (22-25, 25-23, 21-25, 28-30) stats
    ISTANBUL B. Sehir Belediyesi (TUR) vs. PARIS Volley (FRA) 3:0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-23) stats
    Asseco Resovia RZESZOW (POL) vs. ACH Volley BLED (SLO) 3:2 (25-21, 22-25, 26-28, 25-14, 16-14) stats

• Hey, where r the statistics from the champions league, I couldn't find them on the CEV site?

Check the same topic in Female Volleyball section. You will find an answer there.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (GER) vs. CoprAtlantide PIACENZA (ITA) 3:0 (25-18, 29-27, 25-18 )

what a shame....
    this year we lack in something, i don't know why...
    no excuse for the injuries, we could do much more better than loose 2 sets 25-18 without playing...
    at least the team could fight harder for the supporters who did more than 800 km in one day
    these losses make me very angry, now another loss versus Wegiel would already mean almost be eliminated...

2001: Italian champions beach volley 4x4
    2002: Italian League Serie A2 - Italian Cup Serie A2
    2004: Italian league's runner up - Cev Cup's runner up
    2006: Top Teams Cup - Italian Cup's runner up
    2007: Italian league's runner up - Cev Cup's runner up
    2008: Champions league's runner up - Italian league's runner up
    2009: Italian League
    2009: Italian Supercup
    2010: Cev Cup's runner up
    2013: Challenge Cup
    <<We're always with you, and we will never leave you alone!>>

• Yakovlev is back from the dead!!!

• Pool D
    Knack Randstad ROESELARE (BEL) vs. CAI TERUEL (ESP) 3:1 (25-22, 25-19, 18-25, 25-20)
    PGE Skra BELCHATOW (POL) vs. Radnicki KRAGUJEVAC (SRB) 3:0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-21) stats

In Pool D – in front of 9,000 enthusiastic fans - PGE Skra BELCHATOW defeated Radnicki KRAGUJEVAC of Serbia 3:0 (25:20, 25:21, 25:21) and recorded the first victory for this season in the CICL. The Polish champions performed poorly in attack but did a great job in blocking to stop the young and powerful Serbian champion. Newcomer Radnicki lost the second match in a row after last week’s defeat against ROESELARE. Marcin Mozdzonek turned out to be best scorer of the winning team, bagging up 13, including 5 blocks. “The young guys from Radnicki tried very hard but they are too inexperienced. They do not know that the harder they hit the ball, the faster it will come back under their feet. But I respect them for the fact that they fight until the last point” Mozdzonek stated. “It was a hard and important match for us. On Thursday we will play Olsztyn in the league but focus on the match with Knack Randstad ROESELARE we have next Wednesday. We have to gain confidence, to kill more attacks. Today I told my players that they had to be very patient. If they do not kill the first attack, they have to wait for a block. It paid tonight, our serving and blocking were on a very high level” said coach Jacek Nawrocki.

In that same Pool Knack Randstad ROESELARE vs. CAI TERUEL started tonight in Belgium with the celebration of the second referee Dieter Bröstl who officiated his fiftieth Champions League match. The Belgians wanted to take their second victory to enhance their chances to make it to the Playoffs and eventually accomplished their goal with the final 3:1. “We play in a very strong Pool where results cannot be predicted that easily” stated after the match local coach Dominique Baeyens. “This time we scored a victory but I have to admit that CAI TERUEL really impressed me. However if we play on this level, I feel we can beat any of our rivals. So we look forward to our next match in Poland.” The best performers tonight were Matthijs Verhanneman (17 points) and Ivan Contreras (16) for Knack Randstad and Iban Perez (14) for the Spaniards.

• Pool E
    Panathinaikos ATHENS (GRE) vs. VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (GER) 0:3 (20-25, 21-25, 20-25) stats
    CoprAtlantide PIACENZA (ITA) vs. JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel S.A. (POL) 3:0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-18 ) stats

Being all alone in the “M. Liougas” Hall - without fans and real passion - Panathinaikos ATHENS lost this afternoon the first home match of the 2009/2010 CEV Indesit Champions League in three quick sets against VfB FRIEDRICHSHAFEN (20-25, 21-25, 20-25). After some players suffered the swine flu last week, Panathinaikos did not have much chance to stage real training sessions. Agamez, Christofidelis, Chatziantoniou were not ready for such a difficult match and that was the key factor defining the final outcome. Gyorgy Grozer (18 points) and Idi (11) topped the score for the Germans whereas Guillaume Samica squeezed in with 11 for Panathinaikos. ATHENS displayed a bad reception and also the block worked poorly, whereas VfB impressed with mighty attacks and powerful services. At the end of the match, the captain of Panathinaikos, Sotirios Pantaleon, said: “We played bad tonight. We are going to Italy next week and we will give 100% against Piacenza. The German team was really good”. Coach Stelios Kazazis mentioned: “It was a well deserved victory for the guests. We were empty like the venue. It was a bad day for my team.” German mentor Stelian Moculescu concluded: “Congratulations to my team. I can’t believe to our debut in this competition. We have two wins and no sets lost so far” and captain Grozer just added: “It wasn’t easy. The key of the match was that we found some extra solutions in the second set at the moment Panathinaikos started to put some pressure on us”.

CoprAtlantide defeated tonight JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel S.A. with a clear 3:0 victory. After the match lost in Germany, the Italians re-gained the right momentum even though Michal Rak couldn’t be lined up as he suffered some back pain. With Durante being out as well, coach Lorenzetti opted for Meoni, Marshall, Oivanen and Bjelica, Zlatanov and Urnaut, Grassano (libero). With strong serves – three aces in total - and attacks the hosts cruised past the first set. The home team set the pace also in the second set with an advantage of more than nine points at the second technical time-out. Coach Lorenzetti decided at this point to have young talent Massari making his European debut, while JASTRZEBSKI reduced the gap. But this was not enough and PIACENZA closed the set for the provisional 2:0. The most spectacular set was the third with the Poles fighting for their last chance but the hosts kept cool to notch the final 3:0. MVP and best scorer of the match is Leonel Marshall with 17 points.