2021 Women Volleyball Nations League

• I think there’s no doubt it was a racist gesture, and I’m glad she learned now that she shouldn’t have done it. But, for me, what matters the most is her intention. She says she did that because she had a great performance on defense, something everyone knows it’s the main weapon from Asian teams. Was the best way to show that she relates a good digging performance to Asian people? Of course not, but I don’t think her intention was to be rude or racist, or something like that. Just hope she learned and won’t do it again, and people stop bashing hate over her, because Thai players have already shown they are cool with that and everything is ok. Spreading hate on her won’t resolve anything

• I think there’s no doubt it was a racist gesture, and I’m glad she learned now that she shouldn’t have done it. But, for me, what matters the most is her intention. She says she did that because she had a great performance on defense, something everyone knows it’s the main weapon from Asian teams. Was the best way to show that she relates a good digging performance to Asian people? Of course not, but I don’t think her intention was to be rude or racist, or something like that. Just hope she learned and won’t do it again, and people stop bashing hate over her, because Thai players have already shown they are cool with that and everything is ok. Spreading hate on her won’t resolve anything

fuck off

• Maybe the VNL, and all FIVB events really, should mandate cross cultural seminars for everyone involved.

Not entirely in the same vein but still shows how little effort is made in learning about other teams outside of volleyball: commentators (Salima Rockwell and Ci Michel) for a Slovenia match were surprised to hear the team doing their huddles in Italian. Had they done their jobs, they’d know it was one of Slovenia’s official languages.

Actions hurt people, not intent.

• I am still waiting for a tecnical or tactic comment from the Canadian coach. So far, she is only cheering them up and giving them motivational quotes. Of course, that's good too, but I dont think your 100% comments in the TT are only for boost your players. Tell them who they have to serve now, avoid serving to X player or how to move the hands in order to block, etc.

Canada is playing without coach.

This kind of mentality (I didn't mean it) is only appropriate when someone gets a ball in the face or similar.

• Maybe the VNL, and all FIVB events really, should mandate cross cultural seminars for everyone involved.

Not entirely in the same vein but still shows how little effort is made in learning about other teams outside of volleyball: commentators (Salima Rockwell and Ci Michel) for a Slovenia match were surprised to hear the team doing their huddles in Italian. Had they done their jobs, they’d know it was one of Slovenia’s official languages.

if i get paid to commentate, isnt learn pronouncing player name is a basic thing to do?

They didnt even bother.

• Actions hurt people, not intent.

Sure. And her action right after she noticed it was a rude action (not intention) was to apologize. As I said, I hope she learned and won’t do it again, but I just can’t agree with people acting like they know everything about all cultures and just like they’re perfect and not able to commit some mistakes too. But I won’t go on this topic anymore, I think is too “emotional” and too “deep” for an internet discussion on a volleyball forum. :win:

• if i get paid to commentate, isnt learn pronouncing player name is a basic thing to do?

They didnt even bother.

This as well! It is quite grating. I really like how on a lot of teams in the NCAA in the US, there are pronunciation guides for players’ names. The FIVB could do this as well.

• I am still waiting for a tecnical or tactic comment from the Canadian coach. So far, she is only cheering them up and giving them motivational quotes. Of course, that's good too, but I dont think your 100% comments in the TT are only for boost your players. Tell them who they have to serve now, avoid serving to X player or how to move the hands in order to block, etc.

Canada is playing without coach.

At least she told them to stick to the game plan now ^^ I do believe that she's good at preparing the team technically and tactically, but I also agree that her coaching during the match is pathetic. As a player it wouldn't help me at all to just hear motivational speeches all the time, I think players need some advice every now and then.

• This as well! It is quite grating. I really like how on a lot of teams in the NCAA in the US, there are pronunciation guides for players’ names. The FIVB could do this as well.

I agree with this. It isnt just showing respect to the audience and the players, but also at their own profession as commentator/journalist.

I can understand some names/surnames could be very difficult to pronounce if you are anglophone, like Polish + Asian ones, but if you are paid for this, get documented a little bit! For example, Chirichella isnt such a hard surname to pronounce, but I remember a narrator saying: Tzishchella :S

It would be also nice to hear some vball history or cultural insights of teams while they are warming up, etc. If VNL objetive is to get worldwide, I think all these would be good for building bridges.

For example, as we see it here in the forum, not everyone knew why Turkey plays in CEV and that it is a transcontinental country. A commentator could explain it quickly before a match starts or during set breaks. Same could be done for explaining Belgium Nt situation (which is basically 100% Flemish). No one is born knowing all.

• I know this is Micha's first match but she is so below the level of Poulter :white:

• Enjoyable start of the match!

BTW thanks Karch for starting with Hancock, that gives the Dutch team a little chance8o

• So many mistakes in the match :down:

11 points for NED with 8 errors from the US and 11 points for the US with 8 errors from NED:wall::wall::wall: