Japan Women's NT 2021

• I used to root for Team Japan way back 2012 but after Saori's departure the team seems deteriorating. I still have no faith in the present line up of Japan's NT. Unless they will have 6 footers they will probably make a podium. But with their present rosters, 5th to 6th place would be the best spot for them. Only Ishii has the potential to go against the Big 4 (China, Brazil, USA, Serbia). They should develop taller players. Only Italy and Russia could steal the spot from the Big 4 right now.

The Men's has huge hope with Nishida and Ishikawa uprising. But still their opponents are also upgrading USA, Russia, Poland and Brazil. But I am seeing a potential podium finish in the Olympics for Japan Men's with the homecourt advantage.

• The Men's has huge hope with Nishida and Ishikawa uprising. But still their opponents are also upgrading USA, Russia, Poland and Brazil. But I am seeing a potential podium finish in the Olympics for Japan Men's with the homecourt advantage.

with the women’s team, they got lucky in 2018 to make the third round as Brazil kept shooting themselves in the foot. Still no match with Serbia. Took Italy to 5 in third round. I cannot see them getting to the semifinals and I very much a fan, but Serbia, China, USA and Italy are all much better teams.

As for the men, they are much better than the women right now. Still probably on the outside of the medals, but entertaining to watch.

• I used to root for Team Japan way back 2012 but after Saori's departure the team seems deteriorating. I still have no faith in the present line up of Japan's NT. Unless they will have 6 footers they will probably make a podium. But with their present rosters, 5th to 6th place would be the best spot for them. Only Ishii has the potential to go against the Big 4 (China, Brazil, USA, Serbia). They should develop taller players. Only Italy and Russia could steal the spot from the Big 4 right now.

The Men's has huge hope with Nishida and Ishikawa uprising. But still their opponents are also upgrading USA, Russia, Poland and Brazil. But I am seeing a potential podium finish in the Olympics for Japan Men's with the homecourt advantage.

Making it out of pool play would already be an achievement for the men’s team. I don’t see them getting past the quarterfinals (vs. either Brazil, USA, Russia, France, or Argentina). But definitely watching their games though. Fun team to watch!

Ishii has become a huge joke so if you think that she can even go up against Thailand right now then you need to take a good hard look at what kind potential you're talking about.

Nishida's performance has been incredible although he was mildly injured for awhile back. He needs to be more careful. Both him and Ishikawa are extremely motivated.

• I have a sudden urge to see pictures of Yuki Ishii's painted toenails. I don't know why =O

It would take a perfect storm of everyone being at the absolute top of their game (and a better coach) for Japan to land 5th or 6th. Possible, but unlikely.

They should develop taller players.

Do you mean, like, in a laboratory? Or they should spend more time on Irisawa and Matsumoto?

Don't mind the Yuki haters. She's like the best 5th option the world has ever seen Hassan Kadem

• I'm seeing on twitter with some mutuals debating over whether Momii is pure Japanese. I don't think she is, but I don't know her well enough and I can't really find further info on her.

I remember in one of Drews’ ig takeovers for USA she mentioned she talks to Aki in Portugese because she’s half Peruvian. Her ig bio lists Peru, Portugal and Japanese flags so I think that is her ancestry.

• I'm seeing on twitter with some mutuals debating over whether Momii is pure Japanese. I don't think she is, but I don't know her well enough and I can't really find further info on her.

I think her mom is half Spanish iirc.

They have a blog for players on JT's website. I'll try to find it later unless someone already provide you with a more accurate answer

• Uh oh, the cat is out of the bag. I've wondered why Momii buzz has never been up-to-speed. She's not kawaii cute and she's not pure, but she's got elephant balls.

Her HS accomplishments are what you'd expect when Higashi and Kinrankai (and her Hachiojijissen) were what they were. When Momii showed up in Summer V.league she pwned it (but who watches that?). She hasn't looked back since.

• Her ig bio lists Peru, Portugal and Japanese flags so I think that is her ancestry.

Being the social media warlord that I am 8o I'm surprised I never saw her ig before. She's a minimalist. I like minimalists.

• sean1 this was Momii's last interview https://www.jti.co.jp/sports/m…omii/interview/index.html

I forgot where exactly I read about her mom. Unfortunately no mention of her heritage in that interview. She did say she initially hated volleyball, you might find that interesting

Some blog updates around August / September but it seems their archive isn't accessible if you're not a fanclub member. I'm sure she'll be asked again pretty soon.

• Making it out of pool play would already be an achievement for the men’s team. I don’t see them getting past the quarterfinals (vs. either Brazil, USA, Russia, France, or Argentina). But definitely watching their games though. Fun team to watch!

Prior to the KOR NT's giant scandal, the same could be said about women's NT.

• She did say she initially hated volleyball, you might find that interesting

That was the interview with the headline "I always thought "I don't like volleyball" that I found interesting. It's where my elephant balls theory comes from. If the worry on Momii is that she has zero international experience, and that looking across the net and having some giant Russian player, for example, looking back, down, on her might be intimidating, the interview may calm that feeling.

• That was the interview with the headline "I always thought "I don't like volleyball" that I found interesting. It's where my elephant balls theory comes from. If the worry on Momii is that she has zero international experience, and that looking across the net and having some giant Russian player, for example, looking back, down, on her might be intimidating, the interview may calm that feeling.

What I keep in mind as a player: "Stay Calm"

From her profile. It's cute with her MY PACE! attitude https://www.jti.co.jp/sports/m…/profile/momii/index.html

She's one of the tallest setters along with Miyashita plus I'm sure Drews has desensitized her.

• She's one of the tallest setters along with Miyashita plus I'm sure Drews has desensitized her.

She's not only an aggressive southpaw setter, she plays great defense as well--stays committed to defense until it's time to play offense. Doesn't jump the gun. I like that in a setter

• Prior to the KOR NT's giant scandal, the same could be said about women's NT.

I guess expectations were always higher for the women’s team just based on body of work the last two decades. ‘96 Atlanta was the last time they didn’t make it out of pool play (they failed to quality for the Olympics in Athens but have made it to the quarterfinals in every Olympics since then).

For Tokyo, I’d only be mildly surprised if Japan doesn’t make it to the knockout stage, even with the brouhaha going on with Team KYK/Lavarini. But the HCA ought to give them a boost especially with only local fans allowed. Or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Highly anticipating their matches vs. DOM and KOR.

• Ishii has become a huge joke so if you think that she can even go up against Thailand right now then you need to take a good hard look at what kind potential you're talking about.

Nishida's performance has been incredible although he was mildly injured for awhile back. He needs to be more careful. Both him and Ishikawa are extremely motivated.

I Agree. Ishii hasnt been impressive this season in the V league. That reflects on their rankings. I would count more on Sarina Koga as she played really well this year. Seems like her good form is back. I would rather see Mayu Ishikawa play as a starter than Ishii.