2023 Women's Volleyball Nations League

• The Women’s VNL week 2 has ended but another tournament has just started ...the 2023 AVC Challenge Cup, taking place in Indonesia from June 18-26.

A thread has been started Here

The significance of this tournament is that the winner will represent AVC in the FIVB Challenger Cup (in Laval France, July 22-30) And the winner there will be promoted to VNL 2024 :cheesy:

After their match today, the Vietnamese and Mongolian players and coaches took a photo together. :)

For Men is also such tournament?

• or maybe people shouldn't be too emotional about something that is objective. there's a reason why the top 3 teams have always been tall for majority of the volleyball history. and yes, a sport that favors tall people, being short does make one physically inferior (for the most part).

now that teams are evolving and with the introduction of the libero position, the Japanese defense is no longer a far fetched skill in european teams.

It's nothing objective you don't listen as always or can't comprehend the most basic things, you can say inferior in volleyball if you want and make that objective. But people with volleyball level height 190+ can have a lot of physical complications that come with that height and they tend to be quite slow.

Japan is btw also still a top team having just beaten USA and 7th in the leaderboard. Some people really only think the champion is good or something 😂

• It's nothing objective you don't listen as always or can't comprehend the most basic things, you can say inferior in volleyball if you want and make that objective. But people with volleyball level height 190+ can have a lot of physical complications that come with that height and they tend to be quite slow.

Japan is btw also still a top team having just beaten USA and 7th in the leaderboard. Some people really only think the champion is good or something 😂

thanks for the science lesson. of course physical challenges comes with height. you know, just like how the Japanese team's problem has always been getting blocked a lot because of their height. and them not being in the blovking leader boars as well.

and yea, they beat USA now and last year too...and still not win anything in this tournament. your argument hinges on the outliers and not the majority that is observable.

I did say the top 3 teams have always been tall majority of the time.

Japan can't even break into the top 5.

I won't even talk about your comprehension you're talking about. because there's very little in there.

• it`s so stupid rule with this "core teams". Each team should be treated the same. I have nothing to them, but the best example is Korea team. In almost each edition they are the worst team, but they don`t need to be affraid, because they are save. Why? because someone decide that rule....:aww:

• Vietnam can surely beat SoKor. I've seen that 4T player. very dominant.

They could probably beat SK as SK are now but I think SK will get it together. They have the players in country. They just need to rid themselves of drama and a coach

As for Vietnam. I'm excited for them. They are not just 4T. They seem focused, and as I wrote in the AVC thread, they are getting oily. They couldn't beat Thailand at the recent SEA Games, so they still have to grow. Here's hopin' :super:

• I would love to see a Mongolian (to be Korean) player on the big stages

My buddy #3 Mongolian MB with the blonde hair went to Japan University (NSSU), then joined V2 Breath Hamamatsu -- that's when I met her on volleybox -- then she played a year with Taipei King Whale, now back in Mongolia. She's kind of a star there and working hard to support/promote herself and Mongolian volleyball. Let's rock with Mongolia :drink:

• Mayu Ishikawa, Hayashi and their new op that no one cares about

So mean :rolll: You know there are users in the Japan thread who care about Yukiko Wada and support her. Wake up to the dead eyes my friend :drink:

• Asians (majority) do not have the height and built - physically weaker. They have to exert extra efforts, so they will get tired quicker

After the long rallies Asian teams are known for I notice the other side of the net seems more tired than the Asian side. I don't wonder why that is

• After the long rallies Asian teams are known for I notice the other side of the net seems more tired than the Asian side. I don't wonder why that is

Day after day or week after week the accumulation of the spent energy is higher as they have to jump harder / higher to have higher reach and run more steps to reach the ball I.e. a tall runner can run a mile for 1000 steps where as the shorter runner has to run 1050 steps to get to a mile. By the end of the week or x number of days, they will be more tired than those taller and stronger players.

• Day after day or week after week the accumulation of the spent energy is higher as they have to jump harder / higher to have higher reach and run more steps to reach the ball I.e. a tall runner can run a mile for 1000 steps where as the shorter runner has to run 1050 steps to get to a mile. By the end of the week or x number of days, they will be more tired than those taller and stronger players.

yes, and carrying 90kg is easier than carrying 65kg. Got it , thanks :thumbup:

• So mean :rolll: You know there are users in the Japan thread who care about Yukiko Wada and support her. Wake up to the dead eyes my friend :drink:

I watched her play for JT Marvelous in the Japan league, and wasn't surprised at all that she's doing so well...I think she has a lot more fans now. Someone even coined a new word, " Wada'd " like the US team was wada'd by Yukiko :lol:

• I watched her play for JT Marvelous in the Japan league, and wasn't surprised at all that she's doing so well...I think she has a lot more fans now. Someone even coined a new word, " Wada'd " like the US team was wada'd by Yukiko :lol:

Yup. That’s exactly what I called it. Cause that’s exactly what happened. 😄

:white:
    you called it. took five sets but they Wada’d USA thoroughly.

• it`s so stupid rule with this "core teams". Each team should be treated the same. I have nothing to them, but the best example is Korea team. In almost each edition they are the worst team, but they don`t need to be affraid, because they are save. Why? because someone decide that rule....:aww:

VNL started in 2018 and Korea was never the worst team until 2022 & 2023.

Thailand was last place in 2 other editions of VNL as well but no one called for their removal.

Of course with how poorly Korea had been performing in 2022 & 2023, the calls for them to be removed are entirely deserving - with 0 matches won and less than a handful of sets just barely won too (almost 0), because they are not even putting up a good fight even if they lost.

But it's wrong for you to say that they were the worst team in each edition.

Also, core teams aren't just a rule. It definitely involves money & sponsorship for the international tournament to take place. Broadcasting rights sold in Korea alone surely pays a lot more than any of the Challenger Nations would. But even the media is losing interest in the Korean NT team with how poorly they have been playing with all the important players either retired or banished.

• my bad. I`m sorry, I should wrote "one of the worst". Don`t take this like I don`t like them, because for sure it isn`t my intention. I just wanted to say that it`s not fair and killing healthy competition.
    About money...I know that its important, but earning shouldn`t go that way...

and once again. I like team Korea and I know that its not their fault in this situation. I just mentioned them for a example.

• Thailand was last place in 2 other editions of VNL as well but no one called for their removal.

Thailand was at the last place only in 2021, when there was no relegation or promotion as that was the first year the VNL restarted after Covid. More importantly, Thailand was hit by covid right before the start of the tournament (over 20 of the players and staff were infected). Thailand was to withdraw from the tournament, it was FIVB’s request them to continue by allowing to change the roaster submitted, eventually Thailand played that VNL mostly with their old players who already retired from the NT.

The other year Thailand was close to the last place was in the first edition, they were at 15th and one win ahead of the last placed Argentina, which got relegated.

• The other year Thailand was close to the last place was in the first edition, they were at 15th and one win ahead of the last placed Argentina, which got relegated.

You're right, and yup I remember their covid situation in 2021

my bad. I`m sorry, I should wrote "one of the worst". Don`t take this like I don`t like them, because for sure it isn`t my intention. I just wanted to say that it`s not fair and killing healthy competition.
    About money...I know that its important, but earning shouldn`t go that way...

and once again. I like team Korea and I know that its not their fault in this situation. I just mentioned them for a example.

Thanks, I just wanted to point out that they were doing better previously, it wasn't 'all along' or 'always' this poor

But I fully agree that with their recent performance (not even winning sets or putting up good competition) they should be relegated rather than remain in VNL as core team - it has been extremely detrimental to Korea as well, they've since dropped from #9 to #33 in world rankings and will likely drop further by end of this VNL

I think VNL plans to review their rules & core teams again after 2024, so we will find out.