USA NT 2019

• The FIVB World Cup is coming up in September (14th through the 29th), in Japan. This go around, it will Not have Olympic Qualifying ramifications. That being said, there are three rumors flying around: 1) that travelling parties can consist of up to Twenty Four(!) players; 2) that Not All nations will be sending their A-teams (the European Championships end just before the WC); 3) that only 14 of those 24 in team groups will be suiting up for any specific match. Thoughts?

• The FIVB World Cup is coming up in September (14th through the 29th), in Japan. This go around, it will Not have Olympic Qualifying ramifications. That being said, there are three rumors flying around: 1) that travelling parties can consist of up to Twenty Four(!) players; 2) that Not All nations will be sending their A-teams (the European Championships end just before the WC); 3) that only 14 of those 24 in team groups will be suiting up for any specific match. Thoughts?

I don't think teams will travel with that much players other than the hosts (Japan), though I could see USA bringing a few extra players than the normal 14 amount. College will also be in session during this tournament so that probably means Thompson, Rettke, and Lake won't be there. Maybe some players from the Pan American Cup will join also.

• It was said clearly in Poland that travelling for WC will be allowed only with 14 players as FIVB guarantees only 14 tickets in planes and 14 beds in a hotel. Any more player is national extra federation cost.

• 14 players for world cup is fine! Though it has efdexr in world ranking but the winner won't be qualify for Olympic and VNL for me is more stressful because they are travelling every week for 5 weeks! Compare to this world cup just staying in japan for just less than a month isn't that stressful. So yeah that would be okay for me.

• I don't think teams will travel with that much players other than the hosts (Japan), though I could see USA bringing a few extra players than the normal 14 amount. College will also be in session during this tournament so that probably means Thompson, Rettke, and Lake won't be there. Maybe some players from the Pan American Cup will join also.

Yeah....I knew 'bout the upcoming conflict with the NCAA season; I have already eliminated many university players from my roster-to-be. Strange rumors are running rampant over on VT (why change now?). I feel more, here, are Truly "plugged into" their respective countries' situations. Any 2020 roster predictions?

• Yeah....I knew 'bout the upcoming conflict with the NCAA season; I have already eliminated many university players from my roster-to-be. Strange rumors are running rampant over on VT (why change now?). I feel more, here, are Truly "plugged into" their respective countries' situations. Any 2020 roster predictions?

I still think it's too early to predict the 2020 roster now. Like two months earlier, I would've never thought Carlini would be the front-runner in the four-setter competition (I like Carlini and support her a lot, but she has received lots of criticism here and can be inconsistent sometimes). A lot of changes can happen in twelve months.

• Kingdon will play both PanAm Cup and PanAm Games?!

Surprised Simone Lee completely fell off the roster. She made a VNL appearance. Got off to a very rocky start before turning her play around versus Italy, and off the bench against DR. Then, crickets. Quoted the comment about Kingdon here because Kingdon was not a good passer initially. Clearly, she has improved. Is Karch finished with Lee because of passing? It would be a shame if that’s the case because Lee offers such physicality and athleticism. On the other hand, USA is proving to be very deep.

• I really hope Madi Kingdon makes it to the Olympic games, she’s one of those players proving volleyball is not only about height. After Larson is gone from NT, she will take that role I believe.

• Kingdon? Taking Larson’s role🤔🙄Kingdon can’t pass, she didn’t do well in China, and she never does well at top level tournaments.

Drews was cut before WCH and she got MVP award this year so anything can happen. I like Kingdon as well, she is such a stable player.

• At this point Megan Courtney and (possibly) Sarah Wilhite-Parsons have a much better chance of taking Larsons role when she decides to hang it up. Kingdon is currently a better attacker than both but Courtney and SWP are more well rounded player, that's a huge leg up considering that is what Larson brings to the table. But....the heir apparent is obviously Kelsey Robinson. Its getting harder and harder for Karch to keep KRob out of his lineup. Something he had hard time doing with Larson in the past. I'm interested at who would step up after Tokyo and what role Foecke, Plummer,RJP and Lee would play in the next squad.

• Many over on VT believe that Megan Courtney is a proverbial black hole at Libero. Others feel that: 1) She is the default position vis a' vis needing K. Robinson up front; or 2) Robinson should be the L. In my (very limited) view, I've caught enough of the action to prefer Robo as the L for this team: use others as pins! (Drews, Hill, Larson, Lowe, MBH et al)

• Do not disagree, necessarily, w/ the comment above: BUT, anyone who has been involved in the sport - I am a former player/coach - knows that serve receive, passing and defense wins: Not flashy offensive statistics, necessarily. The USWNT has a gaping, glaring hole at L.; Courtney & JWO are not getting it done, ya?

• serve receive, passing and defense wins

Welcome to the dark side :)

• The libero position will always be a difficult spot to develop which is why they had to resort in moving OH's to that position (Robinson, Courtney). Hopefully they won't have to continue this long term, but it's working so far.

A USA libero right out of college will have to play in a low level league, some would rather use their degree and find a better career. JWO doesn't even play for a club, but won the best libero award at the Pan Am Cup though I doubt she will be any good against top teams. Does Lake plan on playing volleyball after college?

• Do not disagree, necessarily, w/ the comment above: BUT, anyone who has been involved in the sport - I am a former player/coach - knows that serve receive, passing and defense wins: Not flashy offensive statistics, necessarily.

i don’t disagree and i don’t know all the particulars of the US team, but i thought that KRob can do that as an OH as well as providing solid offense. she seems to be a very complete player to me.

• A USA libero right out of college will have to play in a low level league, some would rather use their degree and find a better career.

Not necessarily. I think it's hard for foreign liberos to play in Italy and Turkey, countries that IMO have the best leagues at the moment. But they could find a spot in competitive leagues such as the Brazilian, Polish and German ones. And they can develop for sure. Fabi, Camila Brait, Léia are all Brazilian good liberos who never played abroad.

In Brazil, for example, we have many middle-level teams without any foreign players. Of course, they won't earn tones of money at first, but if they develop they can play for better teams in the future. But I recognize that this would require a good manager.

• (Robinson) seems to be a very complete player to me.

Ya...she is! This (sometimes thorny) debate is raging over on Volleytalk. The absence of good paying opportunities for L's overseas -- &/or the absence of high-level leagues to play in -- is a determining factor in the absence of quality liberos for the USWNT. Short of Hentz committing her future to the National Team (she WILL have a Stanford degree to pursue a career (psychology) that just may pay bucketloads more $ than any VB career), I feel Robo/KRob would be best.