2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• So Egonu is the flag-bearer for Italy. I called it. Now waiting for Eda, Foluke and Boskovic:heart:

She's not flag-bearer for Italy (those have been decided for quite some time now, they're going to be a cyclist and a shooter, not sure how you call the name in english), she's going to carry the Olympic flag and was selected by the Olympic Committee

• I think this post (as well as the twitter of the official Team Italia twitter account) means that Egonu will be one of the (eight?) athletes holding the Olympic five-circle flag at the opening ceremony?

Back in 2016 there were 8 Brazilians holding the Olympic flag, including footballer Marta.

If so that would be a huge honor nonetheless!

• In Germany there was a public voting, there will be one female and one male flag bearer, and beach volleyball player Laura Ludwig was among the candidates. However the results will be announced only one day before the ceremony...

• Covid-cases are rising in both Asia in general as well as Japan more specifically, and Olympic Games might in turn be cancelled - provided an augmented amount of cases - as a consequence based on recent statements from the chief director of the games which already have been published by a widespread amount of news outlets: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/2…ancellation-of-games.html

• Covid-cases are rising in both Asia in general as well as Japan more specifically, and Olympic Games might in turn be cancelled - provided an augmented amount of cases - as a consequence based on recent statements from the chief director of the games which already have been published by a widespread amount of news outlets: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/2…ancellation-of-games.html

Money quote:

" ... a day before opening ceremony ... top sponsor Panasonic as well as Fujitsu and NEC Corp will skip. Toyota Motor dropped all TV ads linked to the Games on Monday"

Ouch

• Money quote:

" ... a day before opening ceremony ... top sponsor Panasonic as well as Fujitsu and NEC Corp will skip. Toyota Motor dropped all TV ads linked to the Games on Monday"

Ouch

Coke also dropped all their Olympic ads as you can see from their youtube channel. They had a massive campaign with Haruka Ayase aimed for Tokyo2020.

At this point I think Asics is the only sponsor going all out. ANA will mainly support Naomi Osaka.

• Coke also dropped all their Olympic ads as you can see from their youtube channel. They had a massive campaign with Haruka Ayase aimed for Tokyo2020.

At this point I think Asics is the only sponsor going all out. ANA will mainly support Naomi Osaka.

Most companies would not want to support an event that 1. has no spectators 2. hated by the nation 3. negative/poor hype

• Wanted to say that Egonu is not a flag bearer for Italy but of Olympic flag, but I see half a dozen people got there already.:lol:

Btw, since we are on the topic of flag bearers, Maja's husband raised a stink on twitter in form a text wall how she was snubbed. He said that he did this without consulting her (and no doubt he was also politically motivated, as he is in a political opposition to current government), but I think the anger other people expressed (both on that twitter thread and elsewhere) is misplaced toward the current flag-bearer: Sonja Petrovic, probably the best female Serbian basketball player of all time and the one who led the NT to European gold a month ago. Both she and Maja are legends of Serbian sport, and the mistake was in appointing a very weak choice in Ivana Maksimovic to be the flag-bearer in Rio. That's when Maja should have been chosen, and everything would have been fine.

• Please don't cancel it! Not saying this is true but how sure they are all cases are actually facts and not made by protestor or media or lab who doesn't want the olympic to happen? I mean if i am the owner of laboratory and doesn't want this olympic to happen i will just report 300 cases for today and just submit all unverified names and the public will go wild and olympic committees will be force to cancel the olympic and end every athletes dream of becoming an official "olympian"

• Please don't cancel it! Not saying this is true but how sure they are all cases are actually facts and not made by protestor or media or lab who doesn't want the olympic to happen? I mean if i am the owner of laboratory and doesn't want this olympic to happen i will just report 300 cases for today and just submit all unverified names and the public will go wild and olympic committees will be force to cancel the olympic and end every athletes dream of becoming an official "olympian"

While I agree not to cancel the Olympics but dear God how are you able to think that way? I supposed you think the delta variant is also fake news

:/