Italy - Serie A1 2020/21

• She lost the finals with novara to imoco in 2019 before the champions league

• She lost the finals with novara to imoco in 2019 before the champions league

2018-2019 season. I meant but I didn't wrote it.

• Egonu is just one of a kind. I doubt we will ever see a player as powerful as she is. She has everything - a great serve, high jump, strenght and technically she is good too. Just awesome :what:

I'm sure a lot of people said same thing about many cubans or Artamanova in the past.

There could be always someone better but i have to admit that she is taking the meaning of 'top opposite' to another level:white:

• I'm sure a lot of people said same thing about many cubans or Artamanova in the past.

Yeah, but we have some data of past 20 years of both Italian and international competitions and we can try to compare Egonu to other players from the past, and for example no wing player in Italian league past 20 years was remotely close to Egonu's efficiency past two seasons. I mean, Artamonova or Sokolova were close to 50% of spike efficiency (48-49%), but 59% spike efficiency of Egonu this season is not only the highest efficiency of any wing player in a history of Italian league, but also would be the highest efficiency in current men's league among wing spikers as well, while on average, in men's league spike efficiency is over ~10% higher than in women's league.

That doesn't mean Egonu is better than Artamonova, Torres, Aguero or other legends, because Italian league is still weaker than it used to be, the game on its own evolves and she has won up to now one really important trophy (CL), right now there's no discussion as well as there's no sense in comparing her to other legendary volleyball players. Maybe if she wins Olympic gold we can start doing so.

The other thing is - she certainly does things that have not been done before in volleyball. Monza (CEV Cup Finalist), Busto (CL Semi-Finalist) and Novara (CL Semi-Finalist) are one of the best female teams right now in European volleyball, and she scored 108 points in 12 sets on over 60% efficiency against them this week. So it's not a single game or a streak or a matter of weak opponents - all season long Egonu is averaging higher efficiency than probably any male (!) wing player in best leagues in the world, being the best scorer on per set basis of Italian league and a dominant force of Conegliano.

The other question is for how long she'll be able both physically and mentally to keep this level, because if she wants to be fairly named among other legendary players, she has to do it.

• The best player of the world.

Hooker could have been dome something similar if had focus on volleyball.

• Just to change the subject from how good Egonu is :rolll:

If anyone is following A2, who do you think will get promoted?

I think in the long run Roma is the best team and probably will get promotion as 1st in the pool, but honestly I didn't like how some of the players have been used (specifically Adelusi, Diop and Consoli).

Adelusi (2003) was doing good and improved a lot last year in B1 as OH, but this year she was moved back to OPP. She did fine as opposite, but I think it will be better for her career to play as outside hitter; in the last few matches she played as receiver due to Arciprete injury, and she did fine, very efficient in attack and decent passing (even though she was receiving only in the front row and getting the under21 sub with the second libero in the backrow). I think this should have been tried sooner, if she had practiced more her reception throught the season maybe she could have been already a step ahead. I just hope that once Arciprete is back she keeps playing as OH and Papa can go on the bench, she's honestly not adding much from what I saw.

Diop (OPP, 2002) was never given a real chance as starter and now that they hired Decortes (who's a very good player for A2, but she wasn't needed) she would see the court even less, which is a pity considering the one time she played as starter or had some more playing time she did good. I hope she gets a chance to play as starter somewhere else next year, I really think she has a lot of potential.

Consoli (MB, 2002, best MB in 2018 u-17 ECh) saw even less court than Diop sadly. Cogliandro and Rebora are both really good, but she also deserved a chance. Same as Diop, I hope she can be a starter somewhere else next year.

At least Guiducci (S, 2002) showed a good level this season. She's probably a bit too short for high level (178cm), but I hope she will stay with the team in A1 aswell.

And I already said this many times but Spirito deserves better than A2.

As for the other team it's hard to tell, especially considering how uncertain the playoffs could be, but I think Mondovì (very good season in general for all the players) and Pinerolo (thanks to the most experienced players like Zago and Akrari) are the main contenders. Vallefoglia is also in a good position, but imo it is mostly due to the fact that the East pool in the first phase was easier than the West one; Pamio has been outstanding, probably the best OH in the league and I hope she gets a chance in A1 next season, but other than her I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw them play. Macerata is also coming strong lately winning the Cup (even though they got a free pass in the semifinals due to Vallefoglia infections, but still winning against Roma and Mondovì is pretty impressive) and Lipska is doing amazing, but I don't see them having the stamina to get to the end.

• I hope roma gets peomotion for the promising youngsters but they will need to change their roster arciprete,papa,decortes are not enough for A1

I liked how sassuolo startes but then they decreased a lot

• I have criticized Sylla so much this season, but today She reminds like Sylla from WCH. 36/20 in attack, jumping over the block, handling so much pressure at reception. Without her performance today this could end up little bit different.

I remember a poster here accused Sylla of taking performance enhancing drugs because she couldn't repeat that level of play afterwards. :lol:

• probably this sunday match between chieri and casal gonna be postponed

Casalmagiore demanded postpoment but the tight schedule couldn't allow that

• In case you don't know, being involved in passing has a huge impact on your offense. It's absurd that people try to compare OHs and OPPs's attack efficiency.

• In case you don't know, being involved in passing has a huge impact on your offense. It's absurd that people try to compare OHs and OPPs's attack efficiency.

In case you don't know, I compared Egonu's efficiency this season (58,4%) to those of Artamonova and Sokolova, because in the history of Serie A (past 21 years, since when we have individual statistics on Lega website), among high-usage spikers, these two had the highest efficiency statistically (49,7% and 49,2% respectively) among all players. I didn't compare Egonu as a player to those legends, in contrary, I wrote that there's no point in doing so right now. You can compare Egonu to other non-receiving legends like Aguero, Zetova, Togut and so on, the point is the same.

Btw. be more polite next time, it's not MMA, it's just a forum. ;)

• I understand what Pardar means, that OHs are involved in passing and that this has an impact on their offensive %. It's true...

But the point is a female OPP with 60% has never existed before.

Egonu is the highest level OPP ever seen so far, she jumps and with her long arms she hits the ball much higher than anyone else in the history of this sport. Nobody else has ever achieved her level, even Boskovic, Gamova, Agüero, Zetova, Phipps or whoever.

Egonu is something we have never seen before in the history of female volleyball. Let's be aware of this.

• I understand what Pardar means, that OHs are involved in passing and that this has an impact on their offensive %. It's true...

But the point is a female OPP with 60% has never existed before.

Egonu is the highest level OPP ever seen so far, she jumps and with her long arms she hits the ball much higher than anyone else in the history of this sport. Nobody else has ever achieved her level, even Boskovic, Gamova, Agüero, Zetova, Phipps or whoever.

Egonu is something we have never seen before in the history of female volleyball. Let's be aware of this.

That stats are from the Italian Championship. In CL (better competition) her % is 52, similar % that some of the players you mentioned in her best championship. I think it's unfair to compare the stats of local competition with other player's stats (having into account that some of them played in the best era of volleyball). Yeah, Egonu is fantastic, but Gamova, Aguero, Boskovic, Jelic, etc were too at their peak.

• I feel like the reason why Egonu stands out so much is because there are not many that kinda players these days. During Gamova etc eras there are brilliant players all over other countries.

That doesnt mean Egonu is magical. I like her in and out of court. She seems like a very genuine woman that really enjoys playing volleyball.

• I feel like the reason why Egonu stands out so much is because there are not many that kinda players these days. During Gamova etc eras there are brilliant players all over other countries.

That doesnt mean Egonu is magical. I like her in and out of court. She seems like a very genuine woman that really enjoys playing volleyball.

Totally disagree. Just look at video you will not see any player as Egonu. Gamova had heigh but She was not even close to Egonu jumping skils.

And I think there is many that “kind” of players this days. Boskovic, Zhu, Haak, Stysiak...

Yes but I'm sure egonu would shine in any decade

But this last decade volleyball just lost the amount of elite players,before we had at least 10 amazing players per position,now we have only 3