2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Barbara Jelic (CRO) was awarded MVP in Sydney 2000. Croatia finished 7th in these Olympics game.

But back then, playoff for 5th to 8th place was played, she was the best scorer in overall at the end of competition, it is hard to believe that someone can acomplished the same in Tokyo (from QF's losers).

• But back then, playoff for 5th to 8th place was played, she was the best scorer in overall at the end of competition, it is hard to believe that someone can acomplished the same in Tokyo (from QF's losers).

Yeah, and also, judging by past MVP's, I think that back then they used to go a lot for statistical criteria. I watched a Brazilian broadcast of the 1992 final, and the commentator talked about the controversial choice of Paula Weishoff as MVP. It was chosen even before the golden match had happened. I saw in Wiki that in 1996 MVP was Cintha Boersma. By the way, I adore that woman, but there's no way they should pass the Cubans, the Chinese and the Brazilians in favor of whoever aced more statistics fundamentals. In 2000 Jelic was phenomenal, but again, no way they should disregard the Cubans and the Russians. I think lately they've been more reasonable.

• Basically they've awarded more non-gold medalist in comparison to awarding gold medalists lol

I honestly find it weird.

• Yeah, and also, judging by past MVP's, I think that back then they used to go a lot for statistical criteria. I watched a Brazilian broadcast of the 1992 final, and the commentator talked about the controversial choice of Paula Weishoff as MVP. It was chosen even before the golden match had happened. I saw in Wiki that in 1996 MVP was Cintha Boersma. By the way, I adore that woman, but there's no way they should pass the Cubans, the Chinese and the Brazilians in favor of whoever aced more statistics fundamentals. In 2000 Jelic was phenomenal, but again, no way they should disregard the Cubans and the Russians. I think lately they've been more reasonable.

They changed the criteria during the 90s indeed. Cuba dominated all that decade, but any of their players got a MVP in the 3 straight gold medals they got. In any case, I think that Ana Moser had all the cards to get one too.

In the 80s was different too. For example, Peru was the runner up in Seoul 88, but Tait got the MVP, despite of she didnt top any ranking (but was the most regular one in all).

• Serbia and Boskovic played just against weak teams (except Brasil), before to say who teams and players will be in the final awards we need to wait the semi finals. Furthermore also Brasil is not an strong team as in the past, i think tomorrow Russia is going to win 3 - 1.

In theory, its plausible with a win for the Russians. In reality, their chances are very slim to conquer Brazil and prevail. Simply, the Russians have been acting as headcases for a long time and rarely delivered when it starts to boil up or under pressure. They seem too be mentally weak and vastly inferior to Brazil in this regard. The match-up might unfold on even terms initially, however over time the latinos ability to retain their ability under crunchtime and thus snatch the critical points at the end of every set is likely to constitute the factor that separates the two from each other, imo.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXJHiV4jEM

Can someone please translate? She had depression and anxiety attacks? Poor girl ;(

Yeah she said that but was when the games were reported in 2020 and she said she prepared herself t thatmoment and maybe it won't happen

• Serbia vs Italy is when tomorrow CET ?!

• Serbia vs Italy is when tomorrow CET ?!

The schedule at Volleyballworld.com converts the time to your area.

• On the men's side, both ITAxARG and POLx FRA went to a tie-break, and both were pretty high level, so I hope that carries over to SRBxITA and BRAxRUS.

• we are like different from Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Like the Black Sheep of SEA. LMFAO

They might all be different but the Philippines still has much more in common culturally with their immediate neighbours than with countries all the way in Latin America. The superficial Iberian glaze in no way compares with the deeper commonalities that the Austronesian peoples share.

• They might all be different but the Philippines still has much more in common culturally with their immediate neighbours than with countries all the way in Latin America. The superficial Iberian glaze in no way compares with the commonalities that the Austronesian peoples share.

The Philippines is unique because it's a country where east meets west. We have something in common with our South East Asian neighbors, of course, but there's also a strong Spanish and American influence. The names of the people here says a lot about that (American sounding first name + Spanish surname). Sorry for offtopic.

• Hoping for an easy 3:0. Go Turkey! :super: I really believe that they can grab a medal this year.