Politics and social issues

• Btw besides that it's unfair that Russian athletes get this treatment because of their government. Can we take a moment to realize how ridiculous it is how the team sports athletes get treated with much more severe discrimination as compared to individual players. Like tennis players are taking part in the tour for example :gone: Like their only mistake was to be born in Russia.... And then the team players' to have become a team sports athlete :aww::wacko: absurd

• Btw besides that it's unfair that Russian athletes get this treatment because of their government.

Russia states that is a democratic country, it means that population is choosing government and they lead the population with the best decisions. So now Russian government reflect Russian society goals, but we all know how the Russian democracy looks alike. If Russian society is against the war it's time to make some cleaning inside that country by their society but we all know it's not so easy. So there are some ways (sport ban) to try to work with the war issue. My point is that Russian athletes are also part of the society, so I'm sorry, they should speak up.

• Russia states that is a democratic country, it means that population is choosing government and they lead the population with the best decisions. So now Russian government reflect Russian society goals, but we all know how the Russian democracy looks alike. If Russian society is against the war it's time to make some cleaning inside that country by their society but we all know it's not so easy. So there are some ways (sport ban) to try to work with the war issue. My point is that Russian athletes are also part of the society, so I'm sorry, they should speak up.

First, this discussion belongs in Politics thread. If it continues for a few more posts, I'll move it there.

Second, how much do you think anything that comes out of any athlete's mouth is going to affect things in any country, but especially one which (as you implied) is not really democratic and has never had anything like a functioning democracy (even a neoliberal, late-capitalist one).

Third, are you prepared to logically follow through the implication of your argument, and actually allow full participation of those Russian athletes who explicitly speak out against Putin (even if that changes nothing politically, as it assuredly won't)? Forgive me if I'm being sceptical on that point...

Fourth, even if YOU as an individual would be willing to do so, right now it would make no real difference if every single Russian volleyball player denounces Putin, the issue of whether they will participate is still going to be decided by IOC (and questions such as political statements by individual athletes will have no bearing on the outcome of that decision).

• My point is that Russian athletes are also part of the society, so I'm sorry, they should speak up.

I don't know what you guys expect from a volleyball player... Even American volleyball players, who live in democracy and freedom that gives them the right to change things and governments, didn't speak up when their country invaded Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, Syria, etc. :whistle: Well, America wasn't alone, there were other European democracies... and no single volleyball player criticized their government.

Even if Russian volleyball players speak up, that won't change anything and you guys know that. They just lose their job, and are you guys and your countries willing to accept and hire the +200 Russian players? No, you won't care about all of them, so...

• Russian NT shouldn’t be at Olympics, with Putin aka Hitler as there president.

• After decision of IOC today we can expect Russia to return to all volleyball competitions, especially too in CL.

I thought it was the opposite

https://apnews.com/article/oly…e703890ac2fe7e5935b983fb5

In team sports, Russia and Belarus “cannot be considered” for a return, Bach said at a news conference after what he said was a unanimous agreement among the 15-member executive board

I interpret it as the opposite. Not sure if beach counts as individual or team though.

• What grates people against the decision to exclude the Russian athletes is the blind "justice" towards othee war mongering nation. I will never see the treatment of the Russian athletes as fair.

those who say they should speak up never see how difficult it would be for an athlete of a country with dictator like president to be able to speak. You are saying that because you are in a more democratic society.

And USA and NATO is fueling this war by not offering any negotiation. Let's not pretend that this is a money making venture for the arms machine conglomerates

• No place for Teams but place for Solo...

Without sense. Why NO for Teams?

This is what I was saying, people are literally not listening and just trying to impose their own views. Even if you want to ban all Russians, lol it's not happening, a lot of solo sports players continue taking part, just without flag. Do the same with teams then.

• Even if Russian volleyball players speak up, that won't change anything and you guys know that.

How about people speak up in France, Germany, and other "democracy" countries, are they changing anything or just simply got beaten down by police forces when they tried to have a better life or have less tyranny? Some folks here are pretty certain that Russian athletes did not speak up was because they were afraid of their government, have you ever thought about another possibility that actually they were afraid of your "democracy" out there will call their names, attack them for not having the same views. After all treating Russia athletes differently from other aggressive country athletes is pure discrimination and straight politics driven by the west "democracy", period.

• This whole Ukraine vs Russia would have not happened if NATO (and the US really) honored the Minsk agreements in 2014. Since the US and NATO can't really win against Russia in a conventional war, punishing Russia in other spheres (i.e sports) is not something out of the ordinary. To say you can't mix sports and politics is really naive.

• Why Israel is participating to Olympics while occupying West Bank according to international law if Russia is not allowed to participate?

What is the difference between Ukrainians(and their neighbors) and Palestinias(and their neighbors)?

Why USA-UK participated in Athens'04?

• In Serbian we have a saying (born out of oppression under Ottomans, btw;)) : "Kadija te tuži, kadija ti sudi" which basically means "When judge is the same person as the prosecutor, you're fucked".

• Just a few days left for the Turkish general elections and they seem crazier than ever before. Can Erdoğans 20 year rule come to an end somehow despite his authoritarianism?

The odds are showing 1.75 for Kılıçdaroğlu and 1.95 for Erdogan though it fluctuates a lot.

Every single detail could effect the results at this point and will it end in a 1st round or 2nd round? Very difficult to tell for now, and we have no idea how much we can trust any information or poll either for now. Regardless, the next few days will be historic for Turkey, that's sure.

I will keep y'all updated the coming days and post some streams and apps to follow the results in real time on Sunday.

• Fingers crossed 🤞

• This whole Ukraine vs Russia would have not happened if NATO (and the US really) honored the Minsk agreements in 2014. Since the US and NATO can't really win against Russia in a conventional war, punishing Russia in other spheres (i.e sports) is not something out of the ordinary. To say you can't mix sports and politics is really naive.

Lol. Russia can't even win the war against Ukraine. Putin promised it'll be just few weeks before they totally take over. :lol:

• Lol. Russia can't even win the war against Ukraine. Putin promised it'll be just few weeks before they totally take over. :lol:

For context; USA has dropped billions on Ukraine from the get go. Then rallied their NATO friends to do the same. Russia had no chance. The question is more like; why isn't Ukraine winning with all those powerful countries rallying behind her? The amount of weapons given to Ukraine is insane.

i felt like this is some kind of staged drama by these governments to stir something else entirely behind the scenes.

• Of course a single country can't beat a coalition of 30-40 countries! :white: Like, be realistic. If war breaks out between nuclear powers, there won't be a winner.