2022 FIVB Women's World Championships - Netherlands and Poland

• She said:

I don't get why she's targeted while other black girls like Sylla and Nwakalor aren't.

Egonu is Italian NT,when they win she's the best,and whey they lose

She's an icon there,she's considered the best in the world,she takes part in advertisements and appear in Italian tv

She's always expected to shine

• Wuth such strong squads nowadays imo every medal must to bê an honour. Really happy for Brazil taking Al least a silver medal once again. Taking Brazil to the final match. I have soo much respect for this team.

And no one wante tô lose a medal. Brazilian Players who até Olympics Champions, World Champions regreats alot missing the Bronze in Tokyo. Só its a group of players and in the next opportunity there Will bê (most probably) some changes.

Contrats Italy !!! Egonu you are great!

• hope we a good final match. i ain't coming back here until club season starts because i can't possibly handle another WCH silver and i need a break lol

• Fucking racists and fucking right-wing populist wave the world-over! The recent world events have emboldened them enormously and they are shameless and stupid enough to openly espouse their bullshit.

• Egonu Will have a great time in VB. A great and organized team and Gabi hás such strong mind and is such a good person. For sure Gabi Will help Egonu tô enjoy her time on VB.

• As I said before, there is a world outside the court. One could like or not Egonu as a player, even for fun she could be called "Erronu", etc but what she has living since some years ago is just too much for anyone, not only her.

For the ones who really know her story (all what she had to face and fight while she lived in Veneto, starting her vball career there, all the unprononceable slurs she has been receiving since she was U13, it is simply too much.

Being the face of this new (and talented) Italian NT also brings huge responsability, much more after the success in the last WCH (not even the most fervent Italian fan expected a medal in that tournament). Great part of the Italian media, as well as fans and occasional fans pointed her out as the main responsible from the Tokyo debacle, when this is a team sport. I already shared what she was living in that tournament, plus the huge weight of the media in order to finally grab a medal (Italy has never got one in the Olympucs, let's remember that). Likewise, in a way she wanted to be used as an example of the "new Italy": an Italy made of sons and daugthers from migrants, from different backgrounds, ethnicities,but at the end all "azzurre", representing it. That integration is possible. For the ones who have watched the match on Rai Tv, this was very often mentioned during the tv broadcasts. Again, it was a heavy weight (political and social one) on her shoulders. If we add her being a woman (Zaytsev for example has not faced this in this extreme, nor Travica, Lasko, Baranowicz, etc), being LGBT (she has also talked this with super naturality) and black, of course it is the perfect combination for being the centre of attack of the right wing. Many people wait from her debacle in order to state integration is not possible, that she doesnt perform well, she doesnt "sweat the Italian jersey" cuz she isnt enough Italian... It is just gross, disrespectful and a pity. Paola speaks Italian with a strong Venetian accent (at least some years ago), her grammar and vocabulary is way better than many Italians who criticise her and she behaves as any Italian girl/woman of her age.

Let's remember that the current team has many players with non Italian background: Malinov, Lubian, Fahr. Maybe soon Antropova. But it is always remarked the presence of Sylla and Egonu (from both sides, left and wing).

We like supports and fans, who know better this world, should always take in consideration which is the border between a critic, a joke and bullying and attacking a player, even if we dont like her for XYZ reasons.

• Italian sports media is famously sensationalist and unsympathetic. They viciously hounded Roberto Baggio after his famous miss in the 1994 FIFA World Cup final despite him being a key reason they even made the final and being actually injured for the match. It's partly the burden of being the best and most famous player (really, you can't blame Orro for playing like Orro) but of course the racism aspect only adds to Egonu's situation. I'm sure she'll come back stronger. <3

• I couldn’t watch the match live and just watched the highlight, gosh the level of play was just embarrassing. Especially the last set it was just a highlight of Carlini’s bad sets, but I wouldn’t put all the blame on Carlini. It’s Karch’s decision not to let her play at all during this long tournament, despite Poulter getting injured. How can he expect Carlini to have good connections with the hitters when she had such few time on court? And when she was so bad in the end of the game but Karch still keep her on the court instead of making a substitution, it just showed how bad Karch as a coach.

For Egonu, I hope she takes some time off from the NT, on one hand she can clear her mind if she really still wants to go back and achieve the biggest things on NT level. OTOH, it can let the Italian media knows how bad the team actually is without her.

Even though I’m never a fan of Egonu, but she doesn’t deserve this from her own country. She did has her own part of responsibility for losing that SF to Brazil and having criticism against her is reasonable. But was she the biggest flop of the team and has to bear ALL the criticisms & attacks? It’s just awful for the media to only target on her.

• I couldn’t watch the match live and just watched the highlight, gosh the level of play was just embarrassing. Especially the last set it was just a highlight of Carlini’s bad sets, but I wouldn’t put all the blame on Carlini. It’s Karch’s decision not to let her play at all during this long tournament, despite Poulter getting injured. How can he expect Carlini to have good connections with the hitters when she had such few time on court? And when she was so bad in the end of the game but Karch still keep her on the court instead of making a substitution, it just showed how bad Karch as a coach.

Poulter wasn't able to play today apparently, just like Frantti she was on bench but not dressed to play.

• What Paola says in this video? she looks happier

• poor Egonu :what: I hope she will reconsider her decision ,with all the errors and everything it´s always a pleasure to watch her and I can´t imagine Italian NT without her