Transfer Rumors & Discussion (2021/2022)

• Egonu herself last summer said that she was really happy with the offers from Turkey and that she would like to play there but that this year she wanted to stay with Conegliano fans since it is the first season they can enter the palasport after Covid. I think it is realistic that she will go to Turkey at some point

• I’m pretry sure that their is no way that Egonu is gone sign for 4years. Yes She would probably leave but She will come back.
    Like I said Egonu is earning a lot of money in Italy “outside” of volleyball, She is very famous there and it is her home, but on another hand who knows if She gets 1M€ from Conegliano even 1,5M€ Will not be enough.

• I would be surprised if Fenerbahce offer 4 years contract since Vargas will be counted as a local after 2 years.

• I don't think any volleyball player in Europe can make a significant money (let's say over 150-200k, what's probably still too high estimation) from sponsorship agreements and donors outside of volleyball, Egonu has like 250k followers on instagram, it's a fine number for volleyball, but it's not being a big star in general. Zaytsev has like 800k followers on instagram and is very popular as well in Italy, and it was much more affordable for him to play in Russia instead of Italy.

So if that's a case and Egonu will be oferred twice as big contract as she has in Conegliano currently, then I don't think there are big chances she'll stay in Italy. Keep in mind that last year only Fenerbahce in crisis was bidding for Egonu with Eczaci/Vakif having Boskovic and Haak, this time not only Fener have rebuilt themselves very well, but it looks like Vakif is willing to bid for her as well. But who knows, maybe Conegliano finds some extra funds.

Seeing Bosko/Haak/Egonu in Turkish top3 would be quite fascinating tbh.

• I don't think any volleyball player in Europe can make a significant money (let's say over 150-200k, what's probably still too high estimation) from sponsorship agreements and donors outside of volleyball, Egonu has like 250k followers on instagram, it's a fine number for volleyball, but it's not being a big star in general. Zaytsev has like 800k followers on instagram and is very popular as well in Italy, and it was much more affordable for him to play in Russia instead of Italy.

So if that's a case and Egonu will be oferred twice as big contract as she has in Conegliano currently, then I don't think there are big chances she'll stay in Italy. Keep in mind that last year only Fenerbahce in crisis was bidding for Egonu with Eczaci/Vakif having Boskovic and Haak, this time not only Fener have rebuilt themselves very well, but it looks like Vakif is willing to bid for her as well. But who knows, maybe Conegliano finds some extra funds.

Seeing Bosko/Haak/Egonu in Turkish top3 would be quite fascinating tbh.

You will be surprised. There are many top players making well over 200k Euro…. Especially in Turkey

• From an economic standpoint, Egonu will need to be paid in dollars or euros due to the Lira dropping like a rock. Unless teams have endless sponsorship money behind them, this is just not smart business.

I am a big Egonu fan, but if she wanted a new challenge, plenty of Italian squads would like her, but do you break the team budget to do it? Egonu is a big fan of de Genaro from their time on the national team and I just don’t see her leaving. Yes as a superstar she will be attractive to the big clubs, so the rumors are not uncommon.

Most Turkish top clubs have been paying in USD or EUR I think for years anyway, regardless the economy is definitely a setback, however what's not been a setback is the big interest in volleyball this year and it's rise in Turkey. Reminder how Zehra went up like 1 million followers from 200-300k in a few months time. Regardless the drop in economy is sure to effect the teams as it has in the past.

It's sad how Turkey is an E7 country but due to the horrible policies of the government can't capitalize on it's potential at all... We need an early election asap.

• I find it hard to believe that they're going to let that happen to a sport that's already attracting new fans every year. Surely by now they're already finding ways to keep everything together despite their currency crisis.

I just see the Fenerbahce Basketball Team example. They have been a top team in Euroleague for years, a regular F4 team, winning once. Now they have a reduced budget and it's getting worse for them. Even the biggest team in the second biggest sports in the country is deemed expendable. I hope you're right though.

• @charalampos do you have more details about azeri league?

I recently followed some articles and saw that this league will probably be cancelled because only one women and one men team wanted to play.

• I think he meant making that amount just out of personal sponsorship, not as a salary from the club

Yeah. Perhaps I'm wrong, because those Turkish players like Ebrar or Zehra have solid amount of social media followers and maybe Midwesternvb was implying that they can make some serious money from individual sponsorship, but I believe there's an equivalent of a scale effect in those type of deals, and if you're a big star, you can earn more money from outside of sport cooperation than from your base salary, but if not, then these sponsorships are just add-ons to your club earnings. And, again, maybe I'm just wrong, but while Egonu is a big star in comparison to her peers, I don't think she's that big of a star in general, neither she gets that big financial support to mention it as a serious argument in favor of her staying in IT.

In Poland we're pretty obsessed with volleyball because, uhm, we're not too good in sports in general, and yet we can't afford to have best Polish players in a local league (although Plusliga is pretty great, we just can't pay top-tier salary to best players), so I don't believe it works this way. Not to mention that this logic suggests that Egonu's personal sponsorships are correlated with her playing at home, and it also seems to me to be an oversimplification.

• Imagine crovolley having to cheer for a Turkish team, God forbid Vakifbank

Only to cheer in TL but not in CL and WCCH if there is Italian team. :teach:

• In fact volleyball isnt expensive as Soccer and Basketball. This can be a good point in Turkey. I Hope turkish teams keep their budget

• @charalampos do you have more details about azeri league?

I recently followed some articles and saw that this league will probably be cancelled because only one women and one men team wanted to play.

i dont...i think is very possible to be cancelled..most athletes from Azerbaijan have signed with clubs in other leagues

• i dont...i think is very possible to be cancelled..most athletes from Azerbaijan have signed with clubs in other leagues

Thanks. If you're interested, this is the last artice regarding azeri league https://www.azerisport.com/volleyball/20211123184920836.html

• In fact volleyball isnt expensive as Soccer and Basketball. This can be a good point in Turkey. I Hope turkish teams keep their budget

When the Turkish government is essentially the owner of Vakifbank……

per the Vakifbank website….

https://www.vakifbank.com.tr/o…structure.aspx?pageID=842

Turkish Finance Ministry owns 37.45% of A & B voting shares. Then 35.99% owned by the Turkey Wealth Fund of D voting shares. That’s 73.44% of all shares tied to the Turkish government.

Essentially the Turkish government is paying for the international players of this team.

Then look at Halkbank for the men’s side. 75.23% is owned by the Turkish Wealth Fund.

so if the currency is declining and it is a state owned business, basically they are losing money….and on top of that paying international players in Euros or dollars. Never ending cycle…