2024 Paris Olympic Games

• ı wonder how the rest of the tournament matchups will be decided? draw again?

or it will be like in the champions league?

• ı wonder how the rest of the tournament matchups will be decided? draw again?

or it will be like in the champions league?

Most probably it will be like in basketball in Tokyo 2020.

Teams qualified were divided into two pots:

• Pot D comprised the three first-placed teams from the group phase, along with the best second-placed team.
    • Pot E comprised the two remaining second-placed teams, along with the two best third-placed teams.

Draw principles:

• Each game pairing had one team from Pot D and one team from Pot E.
    • Teams from the same group could not be drawn against each other in the quarterfinals.
    • The second-placed team from Pot D could not be drawn against a third-placed team from Pot E.
  • Portal Volei Brasil reports that it is possible that there will be 14 players rosters for the Olympics in Paris but a coach will have to be chose 12 players for each game.
    https://siatka.org/pokaz/turni…jski-przejdzie-rewolucje/

That would be totally illogical :aww: I thought the reason to limit rosters to 12 players was to reduce the number of athletes participating in the Olympics, so why allow 14 in the roster but only 12 per match when in every other tournament 14 are allowed in the matches?

• That would be totally illogical :aww: I thought the reason to limit rosters to 12 players was to reduce the number of athletes participating in the Olympics, so why allow 14 in the roster but only 12 per match when in every other tournament 14 are allowed in the matches?

Yes, no makes sense. Problem is number of players in Olympic village and not at game itself.

• Portal Volei Brasil reports that it is possible that there will be 14 players rosters for the Olympics in Paris but a coach will have to be chose 12 players for each game.
    https://siatka.org/pokaz/turni…jski-przejdzie-rewolucje/

The Sabrina Machado needs to be in Brazil's 14 player list after her performance at Santiago.

• That would be totally illogical :aww: I thought the reason to limit rosters to 12 players was to reduce the number of athletes participating in the Olympics, so why allow 14 in the roster but only 12 per match when in every other tournament 14 are allowed in the matches?

Agree it’s not making any sense, but finally teams can bring 2 liberos in the 14 players roster to OG as an injury back up, and a lot more liberos can fulfill their Olympic dreams in this way. Also it can bring some hopes to have all 14 players allowed in games in LA after the restriction on 12 players is finally loosened in Paris, even though not in the best way.

• Apparently we will get 12+1 players in Paris, there are still talks to be +2 and have normal 14 rosters but those + players would need to stay outside of Olympic village.

I think even +1 is big deal in terms of having 2 liberos present in roster this year. So even if 1 MB gets cut, or back up OP in some teams, we would still get more or less a complited rosters with this.

• So its official. Teams are allowed to bring 12+1 players.

The FIVB has also confirmed that, for the first time in the history of the Olympic volleyball competition, each team participating in the Games will be entitled to include one non-competing (AP) athlete to replace an athlete for medical reasons. As such, team rosters will increase from 12 to 13 athletes.

The decision follows extensive consultation between the FIVB and IOC with a view to increase roster sizes closer to those of the FIVB’s main events to allow teams greater flexibility and team depth. AP athletes are non-competing athletes accredited by the IOC and serve as a last-minute replacement if an athlete is unable to compete due to injury or illness. The replaced athlete shall not be allowed to compete for the remainder of the competition.

While the 13th athlete will be able to attend matches and train with the team, they will not be accommodated in the Olympic Village unless additional support is granted by the respective National Olympic Committee. More information on the AP athlete procedure will be provided in a to-be-released updated version of the Competition Regulations of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 volleyball tournament.”

https://www.fivb.com/en/about/…lds-for-olympic?id=101198

• Does anyone know if All 13 will earn a medal or just the 12 ?

• Does anyone know if All 13 will earn a medal or just the 12 ?

I'm sure that's already a given. Think of it this way, even among the 12 players, in most cases not all of those players actually get to play and still get a medal with the team.

• I'm sure that's already a given. Think of it this way, even among the 12 players, in most cases not all of those players actually get to play and still get a medal with the team.

I wouldn't be so sure. Probably FIVB doesn't know it yet :D

https://www.fivb.com/en/about/…lds-for-olympic?id=101198

AP athletes are non-competing athletes accredited by the IOC and serve as a last-minute replacement if an athlete is unable to compete due to injury or illness. The replaced athlete shall not be allowed to compete for the remainder of the competition.

More information on the AP athlete procedure will be provided in a to-be-released updated version of the Competition Regulations of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 volleyball tournament.

• L rule. What's the point then. They're better off not having any extra player at all. It's an out of sight out of mind situation plus medal-less too.

I understand doing this during VNL or World Championship but not during the Olympics with career-changing medals at stake especially for the stronger teams favored to win.

• In Rio2016, Quinta Steenbergen got injured right before the Olympics and they flew in Nicole Koolhaas just to be sure if Steenbergen wouldn't recover in time. I don't see much difference with the current situation, although I am not sure if she was allowed to train with the team once the games started. Probably not.

I am curious what the 13th player strategies will be. Maybe an OH who can play libero and perhaps even OPP? Or maybe a third setter

• In Rio2016, Quinta Steenbergen got injured right before the Olympics and they flew in Nicole Koolhaas just to be sure if Steenbergen wouldn't recover in time. I don't see much difference with the current situation, although I am not sure if she was allowed to train with the team once the games started. Probably not.

I am curious what the 13th player strategies will be. Maybe an OH who can play libero and perhaps even OPP? Or maybe a third setter

I remember that! I guess it would save teams the time to fly in someone vs already having someone ready in case of emergency but as you mentioned how would teams select which player to bring as "the emergency"? What if they brought another libero but their MBs get injured and the other MB is already in bad shape? which happens a lot. Not to mention this extra 13th member is not exactly an honorable position lol. It's like you get to go with the team but you're not really part of it. To be fair nobody wants that except maybe rookies?

• I remember that! I guess it would save teams the time to fly in someone vs already having someone ready in case of emergency but as you mentioned how would teams select which player to bring as "the emergency"? What if they brought another libero but their MBs get injured and the other MB is already in bad shape? which happens a lot. Not to mention this extra 13th member is not exactly an honorable position lol. It's like you get to go with the team but you're not really part of it. To be fair nobody wants that except maybe rookies?

eh I can really only speak for Serbia but I’m sure there are other cases of this too. I’m nearly sure Bjelica would gladly accept this role as a 13th player knowing she would only ever play if Tijana were to be seriously injured. This would allow Serbia to be more flexible in the 12 it brings and would be a really selfless act by Ana that I’m sure she would do. I also am sure other people in similar situations for other teams would do it.

• L rule. What's the point then. They're better off not having any extra player at all. It's an out of sight out of mind situation plus medal-less too.

I understand doing this during VNL or World Championship but not during the Olympics with career-changing medals at stake especially for the stronger teams favored to win.

The whole thing is so horrible if u are the +1 player lmao. Imagine making the Olympics roster, well technically, if some players gets an injury... 😬 That must be the most of mixed feelings.

• eh I can really only speak for Serbia but I’m sure there are other cases of this too. I’m nearly sure Bjelica would gladly accept this role as a 13th player knowing she would only ever play if Tijana were to be seriously injured. This would allow Serbia to be more flexible in the 12 it brings and would be a really selfless act by Ana that I’m sure she would do. I also am sure other people in similar situations for other teams would do it.

Bjelica is perfect for this role. Previous Olympians, that still have something to offer but are way out of their prime are probably the only people this won't hurt.